• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

well ive come to the conclusion that i cant afford RE

DansGreyMj

NAXJA Forum User
ive been looking at 4.5in kits for my mj from RC and Rustys they are both around 500 and i was wondering which one would be the best bang for my buck, and im already buying new rear springs so im not worried about the rear, and this is my DD, so on road quality counts.

This is just my opinion but....

I would really just sit tight and save a bit more if that's possible. I got really antsy back when I lifted my XJ. Tons of people told me to just wait and be patient. I didn't listen. I ended up going Rustys. Now I wish I had listened. I'm now saving for an RE kit. I understand if there's a situation where the vehicle is un-driveable b/c of something that the lift will fix though.

I can't really comment about RC. I like my Rustys kit...I just wish I had gone bigger initially. Many members here told me to do it once...do it right. That is really what I meant when I said wait a bit. I have actually been happy with Rustys stuff, other than the front coils sagging considerably.

I got antsy and went with Rusty's 4.5" full spring kit. Happy at first, but over the last two years I've had to replace nearly every part of it, except the rear leafs which are still soft but give good lift. It's too big a lift to not inlude upper control arms, the lowers seemed too short, the track bar is weak sauce and I've broken it twice in two different places, and my front coils started sagging over the last 3-4 months and actually squeek when compressed.

save and go for the RE, trust me, it's worth it. If I could do it all over again I'd get the RE 4.5". Either save up for the RE longarm kit, or sell the drop brackets, UCA's, and LCAs and get another longarm kit.

Do it right the first time and it'll save you money in the long run.

Chris

this is for an mj so i still have to deal with the rear

spring over the rear for free! = 4.5 to 5inchs
I have some rustys 6.5 inch coils more like 5.5 I will sale for $75

BRADFORDXJ said:
why not go with the RE 3.5 kit you can get that for just about $500 with shocks, hit me up back chanel if you want to know where to go. I got mine wouthout shocks for $385 shipped.
is that the AAL kit? how is the ride?

i was just looking around and i may just keep saving for the RE because it takes care of mostly everything, im just a little set back cuz i havent been to work in a while cuz i had appendicitis, so my funds r getting tighter

oh yeah and what r some good links to a heavy duty steering set up at a good price

whatever you do DON'T BUY RUSTYS if i was gonna do it all over again i would have saved pennies for RE or anything of comparable quality

Here's some real world math to help with your decision:

Rusty's lift + (time x hrs to install) + (RE lift x % of inflation per year) + (time x hrs to install RE lift) =True Cost of Rusty's lift.

Theres nothin wrong with rustys. great lift great price. and great customer servive. in fact 3 out of 5 times i call for sumthin i talk to the own Rusty.

ranrusbal said:
Theres nothin wrong with rustys. great lift great price. and great customer servive. in fact 3 out of 5 times i call for sumthin i talk to the own Rusty.

That's the complete opposite of everything I've ever heard about Rustys, you must've gotten lucky.

i have the rustys kit. ive been running it for two years now, no sag whatsoever. i did remove the bottom helper on the rear springs because i felt they were a little stiff. but other than that i thought i got a great kit for a great price. but i have heard a LOT of bad about rustys.

however, how many people really think to post when shipping goes GOOD. i mean yeah, you see alot of bad things, but thats because no one posts when it turns out fine, because its expected.

ive ordered several things and have always gotten great customer service and fast shipping. however ive heard of people whove gotten screwed numerous times.

i guess its a hit or miss...

Go with the RC...I've seen both RE and RC, the rubicon express is way overrated on these forums and is not really worth the extra$.

RC will flex nice as long as you go with full packs. This is the 4.5" RC, it sits a little higher than the 4.5" RE and is more level.
HPIM0625.jpg

rocklandxjer said:
i have the rustys kit. ive been running it for two years now, no sag whatsoever. i did remove the bottom helper on the rear springs because i felt they were a little stiff. but other than that i thought i got a great kit for a great price. but i have heard a LOT of bad about rustys.

however, how many people really think to post when shipping goes GOOD. i mean yeah, you see alot of bad things, but thats because no one posts when it turns out fine, because its expected.

ive ordered several things and have always gotten great customer service and fast shipping. however ive heard of people whove gotten screwed numerous times.

i guess its a hit or miss...
X2. I installed Rustys 4.5" kit Thanksgiving of 03, haven't had any problems. I did add UCA,LCA & the HD Track bar. The only thing I have changed are the front coils, went to RE 5.5". I only did this because I got a good deal on them & to level the jeep out a little, since I have a lift shackle in the rear. At this point 3 yrs. later I'm still sitting a 6". JIM.

basso4735 said:
is that the AAL kit? how is the ride?

Did the same kit this last weekend. Ride is very nice. Firm but not harsh at all. I prefer it to be firmer than stock. My only complaint was that he Super-Ride kit comes with sway bar extensions rather than quick discos.

Had a Rusty's BB on my last XJ. For what I paid, I got what I expected. Lift sagged to 1 1/2 inches after I took a trip with the Jeep overloaded. Added the leaf I removed during the lift install and it restored it. The lift was fine for the remaining 2 years I had the XJ. Sold the lift to another NAXJA'er.

RC = Rough riding crapola. Had the shackle version of their BB. Sheared a shackle off on the very first obstacle ever attempted. Rode like covered wagon. Should have known not to buy a lift from JC Whitney.

Last edited:
Back