• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY 1 Ton help

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey
I have been searching for some info so I can build my own 1 ton set up.
All I keep finding are kits.
I am looking for the TRE part #'s for a D30 so I dont have to ream them.
Also the size of tubing to use that I can thread. I dont want to weld and ting to the tubing just thread it.
Thanks for any help.
I am sick of seraching and not finding what I need

Hey
I have been searching for some info so I can build my own 1 ton set up.
All I keep finding are kits.
I am looking for the TRE part #'s for a D30 so I dont have to ream them.
Also the size of tubing to use that I can thread. I dont want to weld and ting to the tubing just thread it.
Thanks for any help.
I am sick of seraching and not finding what I need

I can't help you with the part numbers, but if you are buying TRE's that fit into a D30 without reaming the knuckles, then it is not a "1 ton" steering set up.

The "1 ton" steering setups that everyone sells on the market now aren't even "1 ton" set ups, the TRE's are 1/2" ton Chevy TRE's.

Ok
Thanks. That might be part of why I am having an issue searching.

Ok so do the 1/2 ton just go right on the D30? Or do I need to ream it still?

The idea behind building instead of buying a kit is when I bend it not if but when I can then fix it easy. One reason I dont want to weld on the thread inserts and want to tap the tub. I have been searching and all I find is this or that kit. I could use the part #'s of the tre's since I went to a couple of autopart stores and they could not help any.

Ok so do the 1/2 ton just go right on the D30? Or do I need to ream it still?

The idea behind building instead of buying a kit is when I bend it not if but when I can then fix it easy. One reason I dont want to weld on the thread inserts and want to tap the tub. I have been searching and all I find is this or that kit. I could use the part #'s of the tre's since I went to a couple of autopart stores and they could not help any.

Maybe I should have put it this way, the 1/2 ton TRE's are what people put onto their Jeeps when they say they step up to a "1 ton" system. JCR Offroad, Ballistic Fab, etc, all their "1 ton" steering set ups use 1/2 ton TREs.

Any TRE's other than stock will require reaming of the knuckles. Why don't you want to do this?

Why not make the steering so that it won't bend, rather than know it will bend and then have to replace it?

I dont mind reaming I just thought I had read some where that it can be done with out it.
No matter what you do if you wheel it in the rocks it will bend. Most of the guys I know have bought pretty much every thing under the sun that wont bend and have bent it. Unless there is some magical item that does not bend I am pretty sure what ever I put on there will get bent at some point.

Hm, maybe I'm too spoiled with my highsteer and 1.5" DOM, .25 wall steering linkages, my steering isn't in the way of any rocks.

Teraflex sell "1-ton TREs" that have a heavy 7/8" shank but the tapered bolt that sits in the knuckle is stock Dana 30 taper. I have 2 ready to go on my 1-1/4" tie rod.

They're way heavier than stock.

Tapping straight into the tube isn't the best idea either from what I was told and have read. Why not spend $20 on some weld inserts from ballistic fab?

Why is taping the tub not a good idea?
I have seen kits that do it.
I would like to tap it for one no welding needed. I have to buy a full stick as it is and can cut it and tap it at will. I can even do it on the trail if some one else brakes. Seems it would give more options in the long run. Once the ends are welded on thats it.

More options? Your talking about 1" deference in tube length and it's not like you have to keep readjusting the tie rod.

I forget where I found it but it plainly stated the welding in inserts are much better and stronger then tapping straight into the tube.

I can't help you with the part numbers, but if you are buying TRE's that fit into a D30 without reaming the knuckles, then it is not a "1 ton" steering set up.

The "1 ton" steering setups that everyone sells on the market now aren't even "1 ton" set ups, the TRE's are 1/2" ton Chevy TRE's.

I think technically they are 3/4 ton chevy TRE's?

Thanks for the info guys.

Has any one else heard why you should not tap the tube???
I have seen kits done this way and I have not been able to find any thing that states its not good to tap the tube.

When I say more options I mean I could tube the tub and tap it on the trail for others in the group. Not just for my self. We try to carry a bunch of parts that we can all use. Thats where we would get more options.

Back