• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

plez help out electronic imbacal .

chrslefty

NAXJA Forum User
OK if i could please get your help id greatly appreciate it .
here's were I'm at .
89 with 4.0 auto .
just installed 99 ho with head and intake . renix style pacesetter header .
renix electronics IE flywheel , distributor injectors and sensors.

i made a tps adapter .
extended wires .and vacuum hoses etc .
so here were I'm running into problems.
i don't have any spark at the coil . so i think that i my have have messed up my cps . but id like to double check it before i go and replace it .my delima is that I'm illiterate when it come to volt meters and what not . so if i could be directed on how to use the voltmeter and a link to what the resistance or volts that i should be getting from the cps id greatly appreciate it . in searching all i got was tps adjustments . i could use some help there also . i got 5 v from A and 4v from b . with the meter on the V 2.5 setting. i think that that is bassackwards . no ?
here's a pic of the meter .
mail.jpg

also on a side note . will have painting the fly/flex late affect the signal ?i tryed not to paint the outter edges of it . it was rusty so i hit it with a coat of primer after removing the rust . i had to use a differnt one from what i had beacouse the original got bent . which is also why i think that the cps is bad .
thank you for you help .

sorry also what is the correct way to cheak for spark ? i took a old spark plug wire and took off the boot and looked for a spark jumping to a pice of metal .

i also put on a new ground wire 4 gage . frome fire wall to block .and block to batt.

I prefer to have a friend hold the plug wire, while I crank. :}

The link I had for Renix sensor diagnostics is down. Off the top of my head I believe the resistance between the two pins should be 125-275 ohms. Measure with the connector unplugged. You do have a Renix flexplate and cps yes? Both changed with the HO engine.

Plugs wet or other indications that you're getting fuel? You should be able to measure for voltage at the fuel injector connectors if you are. If you pulled the dizzy, is it back in the right spot? Battery voltage good - the ignitiion won't fire below 9.something volts.

i did re use distrubiter cps and remix flexplate . i did try and start it with a jumper /charger .

it is possible that i hooked up the disy backwards but im not getting any spark from the coil . had someone else crank while i checked

I prefer to have a friend hold the plug wire, while I crank. :} hahah he wouldnt do it !!

The link I had for Renix sensor diagnostics is down. Off the top of my head I believe the resistance between the two pins should be 125-275 ohms.
whould that be on the 1k or 10 setting ? power on off ?

well i didnt get any reading from the the cps . im gessing that it got dammaged some were along the line when i was pulling or reinstaling the engine . so hope fully this will cure my no spark condition .

On an ohmeter, the power definately has to be on.

im sorry but could you please elabarate ? the vehicle's power needs to be on ?

To use the ohm meter the ohm meter power must be turned ON.

However, if you apply electricity to the ohm meter circuits of a multimeter you will destroy the ohm meter circuit, so the vehicles power must be OFF.

the meter was on ! i did not show any restiance . i tryed with the leads tuching the post on the conector and i also tryed back probing the conector . it didnt even regester on the meter

So a littlet up date .
I replased the cps and whoopee I have spark ! Un fortinatly it stll won't fire up .I did cheack the fule pressure . And it was at 40psi . I treyed cranking it with the tb open and I can hear it poping . It sounds like I wants to fire but it just isn't doing it . I'm going to redo the dissy to make sure that its not off . Any one have a sugestion on what it might be ?

itz alive !!!

haha . im such a dork i had the direction of the fring order going in the wrong direction .but it was so nice to hear it running again . now itz time to start butting thing up .

i was pretty excited !! if you listen close at the end theres a funny knocking noise . im not sure what it is thoe . im wondering if i have the belt routed wrong and its cousing the WP to turn in the wrong direction or i somthing is just lose and started moving around .
any toughts ? besides that fact that i need to go on a diete .

i was pretty excited !! if you listen close at the end theres a funny knocking noise . im not sure what it is thoe . im wondering if i have the belt routed wrong and its cousing the WP to turn in the wrong direction or i somthing is just lose and started moving around .
any toughts ? besides that fact that i need to go on a diete .

for the routing of the belt, the belt has a flat/smooth side and a ribbed side, the pulleys are either flat/smooth surfaced or grooved. when routing the belt, the flat/smooth side of the belt goes on the flat/smooth side of the pulleys and the ribbed part of the belt goes on grooved pulleys.

check the belt and pulleys for the correct contact. if you have the correct contact then i dont think you can spin the wp backwards.

Back