• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine problem...

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
My son left this morning in his XJ to head back to San Diego. He made it about 100 miles when some knocking started.:tear: I went and brought it back here.
Here are the symptoms:
1. Oil pressure is good when cold. I just started it and had 40psi at idle. It does go down quite a bit when it warms up. When he called from the highway, he said the pressure was really low.
2. When I started it just now, most of the knocking seems to be while the engine is winding back down after a slight rev of the motor. There's a very short rattle as it's winding up, then a much longer one while the RPMs are decreasing. It sounds just fine at idle, or at least I can't hear anything unusual.
3. When I put my fingers on the valve cover, I can feel the vibration when the knocking happens.
The engine has 138K miles, and had the head welded at about 125K due to a crack from overheating. (before we bought it) They also replaced the WP, radiator and belt at that time.
Fill me in...where do I start looking?

Sorry to say sounds like a rod knocking.Hope I'am wrong..

Good Luck

Nick

either that or you may have blown wone of your tappety tap things underneath the valve cover and the pieces ran down the engine.

Automatic trans? If so, it can't hurt to check the flexplate bolts, just to be sure you're not being misled, though the oil pressure reported is worrisome.

either that or you may have blown wone of your tappety tap things underneath the valve cover and the pieces ran down the engine.

Please tell me you are kidding! :doh: those tapety tap thingys are called rocker arms!

If you catch it early, you can sometimes just replace the rod bearings, with only a leather belt and some rouge to clean up the journal.

yes i was joking lol. check you oil from the bottom of the pan (pull the drain plug) see if you got metal coming out.

Back