• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake System Issue Need Help

GregXJ00

NAXJA Forum User
Have an issue with my 2000 XJ drivers side front hub and brake area heating up to the point that it is smoking, literally. At first I thought it was the wheel bearing going out so I changed it over the weekend. While changing the bearing hub assembly I did not notice any excessive brake pad wear and the caliper seemed fine. Today it started doing exactly what it did prior to me changing the bearing. This morning on the way to work it was fine, I checked the hub area and did not notice any excessive heat. After work I had an appointment and it was fine going there again I checked for heat and it was fine but on my way home is when it started again, pulling to the left when using the accelerator or coasting but when I brake it pulls to the right. Also I had to use an excessive amount of accelerator just to get and keep the jeep going. That is telling me that my left front caliper is constantly engaged but I can not figure out why. The ABS light comes on during start up and goes out as it should. Any ideas with this strange intermittent brake issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Greg.
00 XJ
3" Rusty's Lift
31" Tires
K&N Air Filter

If you have stock brake lines and have flexed it to the point where the line was pulled really tight, you may have pinched the line. What happens is the pinched area will effectivly turn into a one way valve so the fluid is able to push into the caliper and piston, but wont be able to come out as easily. It happened to me and I got the rotor so hot it was glowing red. When i compressed the piston into the caliper the next day while changing the brakes, it shattered. I'd check that first.

If you have stock brake lines and have flexed it to the point where the line was pulled really tight, you may have pinched the line. What happens is the pinched area will effectivly turn into a one way valve so the fluid is able to push into the caliper and piston, but wont be able to come out as easily. It happened to me and I got the rotor so hot it was glowing red. When i compressed the piston into the caliper the next day while changing the brakes, it shattered. I'd check that first.

Thanks, I also heard that when the brake fluid heats up the rubber brake line when it gets old may constrict and reduce brake fluid flow, which that seems to be when I have the issue is when everything gets warmed up. I am going to change the rubber lines for now.
Greg

Back