• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing Ujoint straps with ubolts?

I've heard of people doing this, my only question would be is there enough beef on the stock yoke once you drill the threaded holes out?

Give it a go, let us know what you think.

When I had my D-44 built, I had the yoke replaced wit a 'U' bolt style yoke. I thought of drilling the bolt style yoke but was concerned obout the amount of space for the nut to fit plus the wrench that will be used to tighten them. That descision was easy for me,... the old yoke had rust pitts in the area where the oil seal fit so I had to replace it anyway.

I have heard it somewhere where it was drilled to take the 'U' boles.

You should still have enough material left - all you need to do is drill out the threads. 1/4"-28 threads, drilled out to the roots and reamed to size, will pass a 1/4" U-bolt neatly.

You'll also need to spotface the backside of the yoke, so the nuts will have a flat surface to bear against. This can be done using a counterbore with a 1/4" pilot - you're just not going to actually counterbore the hole, just make a flat spot. Choose the size of the counerbore carefully - and you're probably going to use a reduced hex nut to give yourself the room you need.

I asked my local driveline shop about this, and he showed me a u-bolt and strap yoke side by side.

They don't quite center on the cap the same way, and putting a u-bolt onto a strap yoke can crush the needle bearings in the u-joint.

I asked my local driveline shop about this, and he showed me a u-bolt and strap yoke side by side.

They don't quite center on the cap the same way, and putting a u-bolt onto a strap yoke can crush the needle bearings in the u-joint.

thats why I still have straps. im sure that works for some but im not taking chances

Back