• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Springs Rubbing in the Front

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having issues with the front springs rubbing on the track bar bracket and the inner fender. Its driving me crazy. After adding the front frame plating and the TnT track bar bracket its close to the coil. I'm about ready to order some smaller diameter springs. I think ford ranger springs are smaller, I might give that a try.
Any Ideas?

A buddy of mine was having that problem just to find out that his track bar was not adjusted correctly and it was pulling the front end over to the passenger side enough to make the spring contact the bracket. We did some measuring and readjusted the TB and it solved his problems.

X2--insure wheels centered under front bend.

When the XJ is lifted the axle is pulled to the drivers side which makes the passenger side coil closer to the inner fender. You said you're having problems on the drivers side so I'm confused as to how that would happen. If you're driver side coil is rubbing it sounds like your track bar is adjusted out too far. TB being too short should mean rubbing on the passenger side. Make sense?

Even though the above is most likely the culprit, make sure your coils are seated center in the upper seat. I've seen people running spacers have coils that were off-center b/c the spacers.

Axle is centered and no spacers, on a washboard road I can hear both sides hitting. I just did the alignment and adjusted the trac bar. I could shorten it a bit though I guess. I was also thinking about moving the upper mount out about half an inch. I have tried moving the coil around and that has not made much differnece. I'm wondering if I should have moved my lower coil buckets out a little bit more. I have a TnT truss with their coil buckets.

T&T is famous for welding things in the wrong place on their truss. My friend went through 2 trusses, the truss the trac bar mount was welded so far out of place that we pulled it out of the box and were on the phone 5 min later. 2nd truss we check and welded on, turns out the coil buckets are 1.5" too far forward. Gives a real nice arched spring. Gotta love This and That Customs.

Well I had this axle under my other XJ and I didn't have any problems, the only thing different about this build is a lot more plating. I wouldn't think it would make that much difference but I guess it did. I'm just getting tired of working on jeeps. My last one was at a good point were I was not working on it as much and it had to roll over on its side.

Back