• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 to NP242, feasable?

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

01) Would it be possible to change from transfer 231 to 242?
02) Is there a rebuild kit awailable for 231 to 242 Transfer case?

How many splines do I have as output from the AX15?

My set up today is:

XJ 1997Sport - 4,0L
AX 15 manual Transmission
NP231 Transfer
Rear axle: Chrysler 8,25.
progress.gif

23 spline output on the transmission. Yes is it possible. The only thing that won't work without some modification is the dash lights because the plug is different between the 2 cases. Otherwise it is a direct swap.

Last edited:
23 spline output on the transmission. Yes is it possible. The only thing that won't work without some modification is the dash lights because the plug is different between the 2 cases. Otherwise it is a direct swap.

Thanks, but does it excist a modification set for the 231 or is it more vice to do a complete swap?
Further...... The shift lever has to have some changes i guess since this has one more position. Do I have to replace all the linkage brackets etc. as well?

search...it's out there

You don't need anything besides the other transfer case and possibly driveshaft. The linkage is the same it will probably need adjusted. The bezel in the console just snaps in so you can swap that too, but that isn't even necessary for it to be completely functional.

You don't need to buy a kit or anything...you are swapping stock parts for stock parts that require no modification of any kind.

I did it on my son's 96, the dash light issue can be addressed but will take a little bit of wiring or a new harness.

Here is a good link for the swap;

http://www.weatherlover1.com/jeep/242.htm

The shifter linkage is different so get one from the donor vehicle. I swapped the shifter assembly as well because its not gated the same but that is not absolutely necessary.

When I went from my 242 to the 231 I did not switch linkages.

The 242 has a longer linkage from the adjuster to the T case. Its not absolutely necessary to swap linkages but I had the donor vehicle in my garage so I just swapped everything related to the 242 and compared parts as I went.

This might be a stupid question, but what is the advantage of this swap?

This might be a stupid question, but what is the advantage of this swap?

I swapped to the 242 from the 231 for my son's 96 XJ, he is a young driver and may need the xtra traction on wet roads and snow without having to think about shifting in and out of 4wd, for others who live in the snow belt, probably more of a convenience of being able to leave it in full time through the whole winter without really bothering the handling or gas mileage.

I switched from a 242 to a 231 because I wanted lunchbox lockers and the availability of aftermarket parts...primarily an actual SYE.

Here is what your post should have said to make sense.
I switched from a 242 to a 231 because of the availability of aftermarket parts...primarily a heavy duty SYE.

Lunchbox lockers are in the axles, transfercases have nothing to do with those.
There is an SYE available for the 242, its the hack and tap style. It might not be a heavy duty replace the output shaft type, but its still an actual SYE. I've never had any problems in the 4 years that its been on my 242 so.

I'm talking about in the front. The rear wouldn't matter. My understanding was that with the 242 you need a selectable locker in the front if you want to be able to use full time 4wd.

And I don't mean that a hack and tap is not a "real" SYE. It is a real SYE, I meant HD like you said.

Last edited:
So I am having this issue with this swap fron the 231 to the 242.... there is a metal ring inside the t case and it is not allowing the shaft from the tranny to go in all the way.... so I cannot marry the tranny to the t case... any body run into this issue?

I did it on my son's 96, the dash light issue can be addressed but will take a little bit of wiring or a new harness.

Here is a good link for the swap;

http://www.weatherlover1.com/jeep/242.htm

The shifter linkage is different so get one from the donor vehicle. I swapped the shifter assembly as well because its not gated the same but that is not absolutely necessary.

Very nice write up...will use this one when I'm on the task. Thank's.

Tom

Back