• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Other cars that use rear ZJ calipers??

The setup used on mid-90's Ford Crown Vics and Explorers is pretty similar, might be the same parts. I know the rotors are the same thickness.

Explorer should be a direct swap same pades etc. the CV and TC uses a caliper with a larger piston so you would need the pads to match and one side the bleeder will face down so you'll need to bleed creatively.

^you're saying the exploder's rear calipers will bolt right up to the zj's mouting bracket??

what year exploder?? the box style or the more rounded style?

the reason i'm asking is because the u-pull-it i go to seems to never have zj's on the lot, i didn't know if there were other cars i could source the calipers from

ahhh just search here for crown vic, or ford explorer or whateva your looking for, i'm running a crown vic setup out of a 95 on my d44 right now and its not as bolt on as everyone makes it out to be, i bent up all new brakelines because the ford lines use a bubble flare on the hardline instead of the 2 step flare. the brackets need to be clearanced to fit flush and i used retaining plates off an 03 rubicon redrilled to fit, if you don't the axle seals will come out on a d-44 i don't know what rear you have probably 8.25 so i am not experienced with a disk setup on that axle just search here or search for writeups elsewhere on the web

so, jeep hardlines use a 2-step flare??

lets say i were to use CV or explorer rear calipers w/zj backing plates.........could i just use zj soft brake lines??

Fred85 said:
so, jeep hardlines use a 2-step flare??

lets say i were to use CV or explorer rear calipers w/zj backing plates.........could i just use zj soft brake lines??

not sure how well the calipers would fit to the plates, of course if you've sourced zj backing plates just get calipers with them and then buy reman calipers from napa, i got reman calipers for my vic brakes and used the junkyard ones as cores, thats about the only thing i trust them for

try to mix and match as little as possibe that will make for an easier swap

shortxjdoug said:
if you've sourced zj backing plates just get calipers with them...

well i'd prefer to do this, but the local u pull it doesn't seem to ever have zj's on the lot..............explorers and crown vics are a different story (i'm trying to keep costs down, as i'm sure you've noticed)

Cherokeekid^, i've found a few past posts from you stating that explorer and crown vic rear calipers are interchangeable and also fit onto the zj brackets.......maybe i misunderstood, but can you confirm this???

Fred85 said:
i hate to bump threads, but i'm going to the junkyard tomm and i just wanna confirm this if possible

correct we used to use explorer parts, pads and all on ZJ's. crown vics will attach the brackets but one bleeder will face down as the cv have one bracket face forwards.

cherokeekid - It sounds like you're speaking from experience, but I've seen some things that make me question just how compatible everything is...

I bought a set of ZJ rear calipers off of e-bay that had some decent pads on them. Never tried swapping the entire caliper to an 8.8, but the pads would not go onto my brother's 8.8.

I threw crown vic disks onto my D44, and the ZJ calipers did not bolt on to the CV brackets. Maybe it's just a year issue though, cause I'm not entirely sure what year CV I got the parts from. My best guess is a late 92 model.

You ever run into anything like I have?

^i know the 1996-1997 crown vics use the same rear calipers that the zj's use.................the 1995-2001 exploders use these as well

i noticed that the earlier crown vics at the junkyard had a noticeably different caliper design and might/might not work...........from what you're saying, i'd assume not

Just go to the parts store and buy some reman ZJ calipers. I bought some for $30 each. You'll have to pay a core charge. But just put whatever old calipers you may have back into the boxes, and get your core charge back.

xjohnnyc said:
Just go to the parts store and buy some reman ZJ calipers. I bought some for $30 each. You'll have to pay a core charge. But just put whatever old calipers you may have back into the boxes, and get your core charge back.
you sure it doesn't matter what kind of caliper you put back into the box? if that's the case i could yank a couple random calipers from the yard for $20 and start checking prices......

Chances are that the kid behind the Autozone counter wouldn't know a ZJ caliper if it hit him in the head. Besides, I think they don't care, as long as they have a pair of rebuildable calipers.

Back