• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd and Renix to OBD2 swap

CheapCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I have done a lot of reading but still cant make up my mind. I have a 4x4 90 XJ that has a rod knocking excessive blow by and a slipping trans. I have a 2wd 1996 XJ with a low mileage HO 4.0 and auto trans. Would it be easier to swap the trans and engine into the 90 and convert the trans to 4x4 or swap my suspension under the 96 and leave the engine in it just convert the trans to 4x4? Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Probably swap the engine and kick the OBD out the window. I dunno if the 2wd trans will work with a TC, but I also really doubt your trans is slipping. I've been told mine is before, but it's just like every other I've driven. High stall speed. My old one still worked fine at 211k, "new" one works fine with 225k. So explain the trans problem, and what you mean by rod knocking.

Your most economical choice will be the one that involves the least expense. Converting the 96 to 4wd could be that choice.

Or, dropping the 96 motor in and converting it to Renix.

The real problem is that most of us can't do the math. We don't precisely know what problems you're specific conversions will bump up against. We haven't a clue how much you plan to do, what you're specific work area allows, and what intrinsic values you might have toward either specific vehicle.

Heck, we might pick the wrong one, not knowing about body damage and rust.

It's going to take some math skills, research, and some mechanical knowledge to figure out which is cheaper. And it might still come down to - which one do you want to drive as a finished result.

One final option - sell both and buy the exact one you would really prefer, not a cobbled combination that could still have continuing driveability problems.

A 4WD 96 with a stroker might fit the bill.

I just completed a 2WD to 4WD conversion on my 1996 XJ this past weekend (It's a piece of cake!). You cannot install your TC on the 2WD tranny easily (ask me how I know doh: ). The output shaft is like three times longer than that of a 4WD tranny.

I bought a 1991 XJ Limited with a AW4/NP242 for $500. It had no brakes due to the sucky ABS system 91's had. I have installed my 2WD tranny, and installed a 96 booster/MC ($70) and will now re-coup my money plus some. I can't believe that I will actually make money converting my rig to 4WD...HOORAY!

If you have any questions at all about the process PM me and I can walk you through any portion of the conversion.

Good Luck

Back