• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Leaf spring eye holes don't line up (on RE 6030).

MGHuggard

NAXJA Forum User
So here's my deal. I've been working the last 36 hours on my 2000 XJ limited (literally. No sleep.), trying to install this lift. That process has been GREATLY facilitated due to this website and the endless hours I've spent searching and reading the different threads about lifts in general and this lift in particular. However, I've yet to come across anything dealing with my current problem at hand. I'm very anxious to get this figured out seeing as how this is the only thing standing in my way from about another hour of work and a lifted XJ. Plus, I'm planning on doing elephant hill this weekend, and this lifted Jeep is kinda necessary for that. Thanks in advance for those of you who'll reply and help me figure this thing out.
Anyway, here's my problem. When I went to install the rear leaf spring packs (this is on the Rubicon Express 3.5" super flex again), the eyeholes on the frame mount side didn't line up with the bracket. I actually couldn't even see the eye hole through the hole in the mounting bracket, but I know it was close, 1/4" max. I'm thinking (hoping) this is just due to the springs being new and really tight. I tried jacking the axle up to see if that would flatten the spring out a bit and push it over to the hole in the mounting bracket, but it didn't work. And the rear bolt was already holding that end of the spring in place ...I'm drawing a blank. Thanks for your help again, NAXJA rocks. :worship:

are you using stock length shackles?

undo the rear bolt, install them from the front first... on the rear hanger, loosen its frame mount, and you can pivot the hanger to line it up properly.

I just did the kit this last weekend, had the same problem, and this worked for me.

Yes, shackles are stock. Hey Islander, that is the most beautiful, simple, logical solution there has ever been to any problem. I can't believe I didn't think of it. I'm going to try that out in about 6 hours when I get off work, it should be good. Thanks for your help, man.

Another question: I got the RE monotube shocks with this kit. The rears come with metal tubes inside the bottom bushings. Well, the shock won't fit onto the lower mount with those tubes. Can I just take them out? I mean, I know I can physically take them out, but will that be detromental to anything in any way?

Just take those sleeves out, my shocks had the same thing when I bought them. Shocks for the most part will fit several different vehicles some will need the sleeves some will not. XJ's don't need it.

MGHuggard said:
Yes, shackles are stock. Hey Islander, that is the most beautiful, simple, logical solution there has ever been to any problem. I can't believe I didn't think of it. I'm going to try that out in about 6 hours when I get off work, it should be good. Thanks for your help, man.

No problem, I'm glad I could help. I don't know about the shocks though as I did the twin tubes.

Ok, this is my next and hopefully last issue and question in this thread (I know I shouldn't speak too soon). I got the drivers side rear all done and all is well. Then I went over to the passenger side and began to take the eye bolts out. Well, on the frame-mounted eye bolt, apparently the metal tube inside the shock's eye hole has somehow gotten stuck/fused to the actual bolt. So when I'm unscrewing the bolt, it's coming out, but that tube is coming with it, hence just bending the mounting bracket as it comes out. I've been pounding this thing with all I've got from all possible angles and it doesn't want to break free. How the crap do I get that thing to come loose and let go of that bolt? This is now the only thing that stands between me and my lifted XJ, and it's driving me CRAZY. Please help.

I had the same problem with one of my LCA bolts, I had to cut it off and use a new grade 8 bolt and nut. Good luck!

use a 4.5 hand held angle grinder with a cutting wheel on it.. First cut the leaf right at the eye. Leaving only the leaf ended eye at the frame in there. then cut the eye and the bolt in 1/3's. Meaning cut about 3/4" from one side as well as the other side.

Remove the center section, slide the outer halfs off the bolt ends adn use vise grips to remove the remaining piece of threaded bolt in the nut. Then use a new bolt..

My son and i are just about done with this same lift and had the same problem we used a big bar and put just a little pressure on it and got it lined up we also did not have the rear bolts in yet we did use a jack also under the spring i think, it was a pain but after a few mins it all lined up and went together . good luck !

Ok, it's done. The lift is totally installed. I'm netting about 5" on all four corners, but that'll prolly settle a little over the next few weeks. I did have to grind the bolt in two different places, on either side of the eye, to get the spring pack to fall out. I then cut a slot in the bottom of the frame to stick a washer and nut up there to hold the new bolt in that I slid in there. After that, all was well. Here's my next question, however: when driving around with the new lift, if I go over bumps in the road I get some knocking coming from both rear corners. What could this be coming from? It seems like it was a lot worse at first, so could that mean that it'll go away as the system breaks in? I'm getting the rig alligned tomorow morning first thing, we'll see how she drives after that. (I know that won't have much to do with the rear.) Thanks to all who've posted and helped me out so far. I couldn't've done it w/o ya!

I don't want to insult anyone, but did you get greasable shakles and grease them? The other thing that could be causing it is your srings moving in the unibody mounts. Like you said, if you bent it trying to get the sleve/bolt out it might me moving around a little. A small amount of play can still make a huge amount of noise. Just a thought.

I would go with maybe the shackles hitting the bumper or body in the back? And its slowly self clearencing?

Back