• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DPG Hybrid kits

northernxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking to lift my Jeep Cherokee. I have looked at most everything on the market. I recently talked to JD at DPG offroad, i am looking into both the OME hybrid kit and the RE 4'' hybird kit. Is anyone running these, and if you could post an image. How do you guys like these setups? One thing I am concerned about is; the coil spacer they add to the RE 3.5'' kit to make it 4''. I have heard most people that do a RE 3.5 add a shackle, it seems this kit would look ass heavy, am I correct, I would just leave out the spacer untill it was called for. Any tips or comments are encouraged, I did search, (bet you haven't heard that before). Thanks a lot guys,
Stephen

I Copied me from another thread...

I too just finished putting on a full ome kit from dpg. good service from a good guy.
I used the 930 cherokee coils instead of the ZJ coils to keep the ride soft(er). I don't plan on needing to winch myself out of the grocery store parking lot anytime soon, so I didn't go with coils rated for a winch/bumper. That may change in the future, though.

I used the medium 3" cso34ra? leaf pack, which I think is the new number for the jcx1a.
The front coils are rated for 2", and the leafs for 3". so their 3" kit comes with 1 inch spacers. I wanted a bit more height out of it, so I ordered it with the 2" spacers and extended length shocks. Dirk thought I might need 1" shackles, from an MJ or something, ( and was concerned about my bumpstoppage), but when I put the lift on, I left out the stock rubber spacer so that I was not too high in front. Well, after getting it on, I felt it was not as high as expected, (overall), so I ripped the front back off to throw the stock spacer back in. This brought up the front 3/4", and did level it out just a tad. I am running a Manik brush guard though-

In the future, I would probably switch to the 934zj coils, and add a shackle or OME AAL, to clear 33's, then gear/lock. Then I could add bumpers and crap-

I ordered and am i the process of installing the 5" DPG hybrid kit. It is a sweet kit, but the install is kicking my but. I also went with OME long travel shocks and Advance Adapters SYE with new driveshaft.

The 5" kit replaces almost all of your front end components and the drop bracket braces have to tie into the cross memeber which requires the dreaded double nut extraction technique for the studs holding the cross member to the uni-body.

I had some replies to my post about the 5" kit. Seem to recall someone saying the OME shocks were harsh and that they were not happy running 32s, so they replace the 3.5' pack with the 4.5" pack and went up to 33s. Not sure what they did up front to pick up some extra height.

All in all, I'm impressed with the kit, but since I have not finished I can't comment on the performance.

i really like my 4 inch hybrid dpg kit, but i put on a T&T tracbar instead and i dont use his sway bar cables. It does not sit ass heavy with me unless i really load the rig. The spacers help, because otherwise the ass will be in the air unless you routinely carry alot of crap in the back

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]/#page1

It flexes really well for just a litle kit and gave me about 5 inches of lift when i first put it on. I really think Dirk over at DPG is a great guy and their service is really good. I have used him for three kits, but you might want to consider using jeeping outfitters because they offer free shipping which really does add up. I have heard good things about them as well but have never personally ordered from them.

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=62

good luck

Email JeepinJason from jeepinoutfitters, he is very helpful, and will be able to give you a really good deal. I would say go with the OME set-up, they are great.

Anyone else have info on the DPG 5" hybrid kit? I was curious specifically if it really is that much better (considering i dont want to trim too much) to be replacing 4.5" leafs for a 3.5" leaf, and a 5.5" spring for 3.5" spring w/ spacers. Considering i can find the real 5.5" kit cheaper elsewhere, does it make sense to pay for a 5.5" lift kit that comes w/ 3.5" springs? I understand RE kits net much higher than advertised, but are 3.5" springs really going to get me back up to 5.5" and stay there after settling? Any pics from rigs w/ this set up or anyone w/ info or opinions on this, i'm all ears. Thanks!

Well you can peice together any kit configuration you want it just takes time. I am running RE ZJ 3.5" springs, RE 3.5" leafs, RE 3/4" spacer, and RE boomerang shackles. This has netted me approximately 5" of lift. With an ARB up front and a 33" spare inside w/ spare axle assemblies, tools, hi-lift.

SO basically if you look at DPGs 5" hybrid they are subbing the RE 4.5" ZJ springs for RE 3.5" ZJ springs and the 4.5" leafs for 3.5" leafs. The 3.5" leafs will ride much better and flex much better IMO. Its all pretty much a guess and play around game.

The RE 5.5" kit is going to sit somewhere around 7" on most jeeps that are not running winch bumpers, winches, tire carriers, etc. The DPG kit will sit around 6" unless you have a similar weight configuration.

But I think you are misreading that the DPG kit is subbing 5.5" XJ springs for 3.5" XJ springs. It's subbing 4.5" ZJ springs for 3.5" ZJ springs.

If you want to see my setup check out www.backyard4x4.com Mine is the Black XJ. Woodkrawler (white XJ) is running RE's 4.5" kit and his sits just a tad lower than mine...

EDIT: The DPG kit seems to be a little expensive for what you're gettig. The cheapest place I have been able to find RE parts is www.dc4x4.com Ive ordered everything from him but you need to give him a call to get an accurate price quote.

I would just about say you could get into the RE6200 5.5" kit w/ drop brackets AND shocks AND possibly a RE hack & tap for less than what DPG is asking for the lift kit alone..... Call and let me know if im right or wrong..

Last edited:
Hate to get this one started again but i have yet another XJ to build and was wondering if anyone has pics of the 4" hybrid kit on 32's? I know i actually had this kit on my 01 black xj above but that was w/ 31's. So post up any pics, maybe w/ a little added weight like bumpers, winch skids, etc etc. Thanks guys.

I was looking at DPG's Super Ultimate 4" Hybrid XJ System. Any thoughts?

Holy Cap Locks Batman!

I was looking at DPG's Super Ultimate 4" Hybrid XJ System. Any thoughts?

mines been on for over 2 years by now and I love it..

my build thread is on the first page of the midwest chapter area.
the thread isn't complete but it's past the lift with plenty of pictures after and it wheeeling a bit

Holy Cap Locks Batman!

Holy old-post-resurection, He-man. :)
Holy old post resurrection to make a pointless post!

Pssst, by the way, that was just large font, not caps lock.

Oh, and on topic, I ran the 4" hybrid. Except I swapped out the 3.5" coils for 4.5" coils and a 1.5" spacer. Even at what was supposed to be 6" up front, the rear still sat level with 3.5" leafs and a 1.5" shackle. The only part I'm still running is the leafs as short arms replacing only the lowers with no drop brackets sucks at 6". It'd probably be fine if you ran it as intended.

Guess I'd better post some pointed words to make up for my pointless post.

I've been running the DPG hybrid 3.5" inch for a half a year. The rear does sit a bit higher than the front. I imagine that a taller spacer or a longer coil like the pointless post policeman would have worked well.

Guess I'd better post some pointed words to make up for my pointless post.

I've been running the DPG hybrid 3.5" inch for a half a year. The rear does sit a bit higher than the front. I imagine that a taller spacer or a longer coil like the pointless post policeman would have worked well.
Don't get your feelings hurt, I was talking about the guy who resurrected the thread to make a comment about capslock...;)

BTW, nice alliteration there

I’ve installed the DPG 4” hybrid kit since my posting. I added the RE drop down brackets for the lower control arms.

33846874109_large.jpg

Back