• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question

87xjstafford

NAXJA Forum User
I have been lurking on here for a little while, and I've read that people dont like the rustys offroad stuff. I'm wondering what makes them so bad compaired to others?:dunno:

Your going to get mixed reviews. Some of those opinions are worthy, some are people that jumped on the bandwagon. Personally I have alot of their stuff and run it hard! Is there better..yes. Is there worse..hell yes!

I have been lurking on here for a little while, and I've read that people dont like the rustys offroad stuff. I'm wondering what makes them so bad compaired to others?:dunno:

I think its mainly the track bar that all the issues are with but many people assume that one product that has a bad design makes the whole company bad, thats a bunch of crap. I have a rustys t-case skid and its pure BEEF! Another thing about them is that they back their product. I've talked withone of the guys before and i hear how umm....... southern they are but this guy didn't sound like a dumbass yokel!

As for a Lift i would check into rough country. Grimus99XJ works there and is very helpful if you have questions.

I have heard the trac bar issues too, but I have a buddy that has been running their 4.5 short arm with no issues for a while. I have the HD steering set up and steering box brace installed right now, and they are well built pieces. Their customer service was very good too when I called. I think they know what they are doing. You hear so many complaints on here because bad experiences tend to spread quicker than good ones. If I have had good luck with a product I like to try to let people know, not just if I have had issues with one. My 2cents

I'm happy with everything I've ever ordered from Rustys, especially my high clearance long control arms! Anything Ive got from them has exceeded my expectations, and I'd recommend them.

I would also recommend rough country lift kits for the bargin that they are, just have fun blowin the shocks apart to use as excuse for wife to let you buy some "ones that wont break so easily next time".

One thing I wont order is leaf suspension parts as you can get that crap anywhere, why pay the shipping on that?!

Wow, thanks everyone!
I'm only in high school so im tight on money, but I'm working in a family friends junk yard over the summer so i should have some $$$ by the end of summer for PARTS!!!!

Rustys:

the good times:
my first lift was their hd 3inch lift with full packs it was a great lift till i broke the rear springs.... most likely my fault i was in hs then and showing off was fun! that was a great lift! handled well and worked great off road!

the bad time:
i wouldn't buy their hd steering ever again! its just not worth the money had i known the hassel and crap i was going to get i would of saved a little more and bought the currie steering!

my opinion their a good company and are good people! ive talked to them quite a few times!

i understand you can get crap from anyone or any company! but do your self a favor if you can save more money and get the best thing you can afford at the time that you need it! ive gone through 3 sets of rear leafs and two total lift kits! if you have the chance look at jeeps and talk to the owners before you buy! just my two cents.
-Chad

I have had my rusty stuff on two different rigs and haven't had that much issue with anything. I even bought a budget boost from them for my wife's WJ.

Good: When I ordered my lift, I originally got the 3.5" kit with rear AAL's. The day after it arrived, I checked their website and found that their 4.5" coils were on sale for the same price I had paid for the 3.5" coils. I called them and asked if I could swap them out, and they paid for me to ship mine back to them and sent the 4.5" out the next day.

Also have their LCA's and they haven't had any issue.

Rusty's Cold air intake works great! Got the Flowmaster 40 from them too.
Bad: I have the HD steering and have replaced the Frame end TRE once in two and a half years. Slight vibes at about 45mph and again at 80mph, but overall a decent system for me.

Smacked the Steering Stabilizer on a rock and bent the shaft. Removed from Jeep and straightened it out. Works fine now.

D/S front shock stem at top bent while trying to remove the nut to take the lift off my 87. Straightened that out too......

My experience has been:

- 3" lift on XJ about 7 years ago, rear AAL sucked (most all do though) and sucky shocks (standard shocks included), shipping was crazy.

- D30 disconnect housing block off plate ordered last week. Ordered at 2:30 PM, asked if they could please get it out that same day and sure enough it was on my door step the next day! Shipping again was crazy high. I live about 2.5 hours from Rustys and it was $14 for a box about 6x6x4. I ship 18 lb. skid plates in a box 24x18x4 to the mid-west or northeast US for $14!

Others have experienced bad track bars, which is true, has been enough to make me stay away from those in the past.

I have the Rustys 3 inch full pack lift with no problems at all. I have had the lift for a little over 2 years with no sag. I also have the HD trackbar with no problems. In my opinion Rustys is an awesome company and the make affordable/quality parts. I was in high school also when i first started building my jeep and Rustys didnt let me down.

good luck

A guy in the colorado chapter had both of his Rustys Coils snap on him while driving down the highway. :skull1:
032109_07311.jpg

Last edited:
Back