• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can you drive a car with a bad rear "u-joint"

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I found a WJ on craigslist that says all that's wrong is a bad rear universal joint, this would be on the DS if I'm not that dumb......is this driveable or would I need to bring a bearing press with me to fix it?

TIA

doug

depends on the condition of the ujoint if its its broken you cant drive it if its worn out you could probably drive but i would recomend replacing it only takes about 30 mins and all you need is a couple blocks of wood a hammer and something to get the new one in a socket usualy works just like a trail repair done it 2 many times to remember

^ Sounds about right.

If it's just the bearings that are shot, you can drive it home (expect vibrations and more than a little wobble,) as long as it isn't too far. You'll accelerate wear on the transfer case output bushing and the axle pinion bearings and seals driving it - so only a few miles.

If the cross is broken or you've lost a cap, pull the rear DS (plug the output if necessary,) and drive it home in front-wheel drive with the rear DS in the back of the truck.

A bearing press is best for replacing it, but I've also done U-joints with a bench vise (a largish one...) or using a high-quality G-clamp.

Yep You can drive it ,till it spits the the driveshaft out!!

Good luck
Nick

unless it's actually snapped, it should drive. It is likely just worn out, maybe missing some needle bearings. It most likely just makes a noise. It should be replaced as soon as possible, especially if it creates vibrations. I've driven with one bad often, once it was so worn that it created terrible vibrations, which eventually snapped my yoke and tossed the DS onto the highway. When I took it apart, all the needles were gone, and the shafts on the joint were chewed up to about half the original size. (Brute Force joint, avoid them)

You will most likely be able to drive home with a little squeek. But if you are worried, replace it before driving, or go FWD. as said, blocks of wood, a hammer, and a socket. You can also use a big C clamp sockets. or a press, if you like doing things proper.

Forget about FWD if it has a 249 x-fer case you'll burn up the $400+ viscous coupler in a hurry. Just replace it, really easy.

Back