• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest volunteers needed.

RlCHARD CRANlUM

NAXJA Forum User
NWFest is coming up fast, with tons of crap to take care of.

Michael is the trail coordinator, but I think we are lacking a bit in trail leaders. So if you are interested please contact him. (2xtreme) I think "trail leader" is pretty self explanatory.

We need someone to coordinate the tech inspections. I know we had quite a few volunteers to do tech inspections, but we need a chief. If you are interested in the grand pooh-bah, or merely a lowly tech inspector, let me know. (Tech inspectors won't be required to fix other peoples overheating issues).

We need a couple people for a welcome wagon. This would entail getting waivers signed, and maybe getting signed up for trails. Let me know if you're interested.

Did I miss anything?

Ken

We need a couple people for a welcome wagon. This would entail getting waivers signed, and maybe getting signed up for trails. Let me know if you're interested.

Ken

I don't remember who the other person was, but I volunteered to do this. I tried reading the original thread that had everyones names for what they signed up for, but I got bored.

Rich

I already told Michael in another thread awhile back, but I'll volunteer again to lead a trail run. I'd rather not lead a fire-road stare at the sunset run though, that's a waste of time IMO.

So no romantic sunset dirt road trail runs for Doug. Got it. I figured Michael had a few people on his list, but could use more. Also in case new people who know the Naches area are interested.

Thanks Ken,
I was getting very close to posting something very similar for the trail leaders.

I know that several people have talked to me and have offered to help with this but I would like to start putting names with trails so that I can start to formalize the details, maps, etc.

Please PM me with what trails you would like to lead soon!

If you look at the following thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=982001

You will see a detailed list of the trails. The ONLY leaders I have singed up for are Myself, Hans, and John (all of which are shown on that thread).

I will prepare trail sign in sheets for each of the trails for each day that people can sign in for once they have arrived at camp and passed inspection. I assume that I will give these sheets to the welcome committee for people to sign in.

Michael

wow that is some great organization! Would the moderate trails require locked front and rear? or will open/open just make it more difficult but doable?

wow that is some great organization! Would the moderate trails require locked front and rear? or will open/open just make it more difficult but doable?

ALL requirements for Traction Aiding Devices (TAD= limited slips, lockers, spools, etc) are commented for all trails.

Michael

Here is the full post concerning the trail runs ( I highlighted the part you are asking about) :

Lets talk details!

Below is a list of the formal trail run's that I have established. I have tried to provide a variety of trails for a variety of different groups with as much diversity in the trails as possible. I have tried to provide the details with each trail run as far as limited number of people time expectations, etc. Ultimately this will be up to the leadership of the group leader who will take responsibility for the group and how it proceeds.

My expectation was that you could sign up for trails after arriving and going through tech inspection. If there are any significant concerns with this please let me know and we will deal with that on an individual basis.

I would like to put names of trail leaders with each trail ride as soon as possible (some have already been designated)so that I can work with each of these leaders with regard to maps, GPS data, expectations and time restrictions. Please let me know which trails you may or may not like to lead and I will begin to coordinate all of the details together.

Start times and time expectations have been established to get each group conservatively through each of the sections of trails. If there are significant issues along the way the trail leaders will establish any deviations that might need to occure for the safety of the group. I am making the assumption that Saturday's dinner will be at 6:00pm and I wanted every group back by 4:00pm to have time to assist, clean up, etc.

I do not want to dictate who or what vehicles are capable of running what trails, I would like to leave this up to the tail leaders since they are ultimately the ones who have the responsibility for the group. As a general rule the easy trails should be able to be completed by a stock XJ with little likelyhood of body damage. The moderate trails should be able to be completed with a 3+ inch lift/31" tires and minimum skid plates, certain obstacles will be more challenging than others and many are avoidable. body damage is always a factor, but not likely if care is taken. Hard trails should have 33" tires, good skid plates and at least 1 TAD. body damage is likely but not inevitable.

The "EPIC" run. This run is designed to be a mentally and pysically challenging run for the combined group. It will run the vast majority of the most difficult trails in the area in record time. What is most important about this run is that everyone has the understanding of the expectations of the group and can act in accordance with those expections, particularly with regard to trail etiquite, extraction techniques, trail communication, repair issues, etc. I think that 33" tires, 1 TAD would be required. But group trail experience is much more important. I hope this trail run will be a challenging understaking for everyone in the group and I hope that it provides a "base line" for all future NW Fest trail run's :scottm:

For those who are not familiar with the trail names/numbers I recommend a "Yakima County Recreation Guide" from the following resources:
Yakima County Shefiff's Office at 1 (800) 572-0490 or www.co.yakima.wa.us/sheriff
Naches Ranger District (509) 653-1400
Cle Elum Ranger District (509) 852-1100

The following website has all of the information on purchasing these maps.
http://www.yakimap.com/Products/ProductsORV.htm

Thursday, June 25th
No formal trail runs, I expect people will be arriving throughout the day and evening and this is a better time to unload, set up camp, meet and greet with others and you may obviously run trails on your own as you see fit.

Friday, June 26th
Easy Run, Leave at 11:00AM (3Hrs up to Rocks, 2Hrs back down)
1702, 1720, Bald Mt, C.J.R.s Hideout, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708
Moderate Run, Leave at 11:00AM (12 rig max) (4 Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708
Epic Run (leave at 8:00AM, 8 rigs max, 33’s and 1 TAD, Experience!!) 10 Hrs-12Hrs Hans/Michael to lead group
Kaner Flats, Shoestring, Tripod Flats, Buck Meadows, Quartz Mt., Wells Meadow, Manastash Ridge, String (Rocks), Tipover, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker.
Raven’s Roost Night Run (Leave 1hr, and 2hr’s before Sunset)
Main road for stock vehicles, Powerline (900) for modified

Saturday, June 27th
Easy Run (Leave at 9:00AM) Hans to lead group
1708, Milk Lake, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, 670 down to 1720.
Hard/Moderate 1 (Leave at 9:00AM, will be back by 3:00PM) (12 rig max)
1708, Upper Woodpecker, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks (several hours of play), Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708 John to lead group
Moderate Run 2 (Leave at 9:30AM) (12 rig max)
1706, 1600 (Little Bald Mt), Mud Springs (696), Saw Mill Flats (1600)
Hard Run 1 (Leave at 8:30AM) (10 rig max) (4Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
Kaner Flats, Manastash Ridge, String, Tipover, Tripod Flats, Summit, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708.
Hard Run 2 Will add this run if we need more run's (Leave at 9:00AM) (12 rig max) (3Hrs up to Rocks, 3.5Hrs back down)
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit, Moon Rocks/Runny Rocks, Tripod Flats, Shoestring, Kaner Flats

Sunday, June 28th
Easy Run
Naches Trail (684) up to Naches Pass and return (not open on West Side yet)
Moderate Run
Power Line Trail up to Raven’s Roost (900) and return.
Hard Run Michael to lead group
Saw Mill Flats (1600), Lower Clover Springs (697), Upper Clover Springs (1605 4w696)

And here is a website originally posted by Hans with specific trail details (note Manastach Ridge is where we will be) http://www.nwjeepn.com/WAtrails.htm#walker

The ONLY leaders I have singed up for are Myself, Hans, and John (all of which are shown on that thread).

I will prepare trail sign in sheets for each of the trails for each day that people can sign in for once they have arrived at camp and passed inspection. I assume that I will give these sheets to the welcome committee for people to sign in.

Michael

We need more trail leaders folks. If you've been to the Naches area a few times please consider signing up to lead a trail run for a day.

Sounds like a good idea to have the welcome wagon have people sign up for trails when they sign waivers.

Ken

Back