• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 question.

wild1joker

NAXJA Forum User
im under the impression that all ax15s are the same.. i mean a 2.5 4 cylinder or a 4.0 6 cylinder. i have a 93 but want to change to a 95 to get the external slave. are they the same? interchangable? thanks...93 4.0 np231 ax15. comments?????

The 4-cyl came with an AX5, and the 6-cyl can with the AX15. Not interchangeable, primarily due to a different bellhousing pattern.

Do a search on here about converting. I believe you have to swap the bellhousing and bearing retainer to convert the trans, and of course buy the slave, etc. Why do you want to convert anyway?

im under the impression that all ax15s are the same.. i mean a 2.5 4 cylinder or a 4.0 6 cylinder. i have a 93 but want to change to a 95 to get the external slave. are they the same? interchangable? thanks...93 4.0 np231 ax15. comments?????

lawsoncl's remarks are correct - the 150ci four came with a different gearbox than the 242ci six.

However, the AX15 will be a direct swap across 1993/1994, mechanically speaking. Just get the later hydraulic gear (which you might be due to replace anyhow - it's been 15-16 years...) and the later clutch kit (the only difference there is the throwout bearing in the later kit doesn't have the slave cylinder integrated.)

Measure the size of your pilot as you take the older AX15 out - if it's around 7/8", you're good. If it down around 5/8", you'll need to change the pilot bushing/bearing as well (I don't know for sure when that changed, but the earlier AX15 pilots were smaller than the later ones.)

Back