• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high coolant temp

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
every once in awhile i am driving down the freeway in a 99Xj and i get see gauges warning and my coolant temp is a little past 3/4 about 250 i guess. i pull over turn off the car for a minute i don't here it boiling over restart the car temp is 215 i guess normal and drive home no problems...
it doesn't matter if I have the ac on or off i get the same symptoms.
The jeep is stock with 3.55 gears and 31" tires..any help would be appreciated

Well, it could be a lot of things. I'll start at the top with the most likely.
1) coolant level
2) clogged radiator
3) thermostat
4) water pump
5) Head gasket leak or cracked head

If it only does it on the freeway I would lean more towards the radiator or head gasket leak. Have the cooling system pressure tested to check for gasket leak\crack.

Kind of sounds like a temp sensor, or temp sensor connection problem. It COULD also be a sticking tstat, but you say that it doesn't really seem hot. You must have made sure you have good coolant level. Unplug and replug your sensor wire a few times to scrape the connection and check to make sure that it isn't wet from leaking coolant.

coolant level fine 6 month old failsafe thermostat i think

I lost my faith in the failsafe thermostats, had one literally break apart in my F250, that was, however, a long time ago and they may have improved the quality.

Back