• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo cable lube ?

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
The needle in my(sons) 87 XJ speedometer is jumping at slow speeds.It does have cruise-can the cable be removed and lubed? And how would one go about doing that?

Thanks,
Wayne

I do not know about cruise, I believe you have two cables with cruise, one going to the cruise unit, and one going to the speedo gear. On mine, you remove the gauge cluster, unclip the cable, and the inside part of the cable can slide out. It may be different with cruise. I lubed mine several times and it did not fix the bouncing needle, eventually my speedo started making a clunking noise. The final fix, for me, was replacing the cable. I got a cable from Advance Auto Parts, for about 20 bucks(dealer wanted twice that). I am not sure what the 2 piece cable costs, just be sure to tell them you have cruise when ordering the cable. The swap was fairly easy, but again, no experience with the two piece cable.

I think the jumping speedo is either needing cable lube or the cable has broken strands. Lube won't really help much if it is frayed, but worth a try.

Thanks for the info. Which direction does the cable have to be removed from?
TC end or Speedo end ? Any clips,ect ?

Wayne

On mine the cable unclips from the speedo, and unscrews from the case. There were no clips, tho they could have been lost over the past 22 years.

Back