• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor Drain Write-up

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I did for my drains. I chose the front so that I could back the jeep up on a small hill and clean it out and all the dirt would go to the front.:
First you need to get 2 of these sink drain trap things or something equal to them. You also need to get 2 of these expansion plugs that are close to that inner diameter as the drains.
DSCN5849.jpg

DSCN5850.jpg

Then you cut off the top part of the drain trap thing and 3 of the threads off the bottom. Then you file grooves into the the lip of it so the water can drain out easier. You should end up with something like this:

DSCN5852.jpg

DSCN5853.jpg

This is what it looks like when all put together:
DSCN5856.jpg

DSCN5855.jpg

DSCN5857.jpg

Then you take a hole saw and drill your holes where ever you want them. I chose the current "drains" so that if I needed a could easily replace them. You also need to repaint the now raw metal.
DSCN5858.jpg

DSCN5859.jpg

Then you put your drains in. I did not neet the bottom "nut" peice because I needed a hammer to get them in:
DSCN5865.jpg

Here is the final product:
DSCN5860.jpg

DSCN5863.jpg

DSCN5864.jpg

DSCN5866.jpg

Looks good!

Years back, Scott Rozzman on the MADXJ site did boat plugs in the same location. It worked OK, but when I bought the vehicle, the plugs on the floor bugged me, so I never installed any on my current XJ.

There is write up for his boat plug setup on the MADXJ site. Very simular.

Thanks

I was going to do the boat plugs but it was $5.00 per plug as apposed to my entire "assembly" for that much.

What I did is if you havent herc'd your floor yet look right by the big drains and you'll see a smaller drain ~1". I went to Oreilly and found some rubber push in plugs which were labeled for and old master cylinder res. Just take a hammer and screwdriver and popped them out then pushed the rubber plugs in and they stay in tight. When water gets in you don't have to worry about unscrewing a wing nut just reach down grab it and pull it out and the water drains out very quickly on the trail. Only problem is if you're on level ground those holes aren't in the low spot of the floor so there's still a small puddle left.

Back