• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front DS in back

Jump This

Just another minion!
How many of you have used a stock front drive shaft in the back (rear) after installing a SYE?
What are the issues? Is it even possible with a 5" lift?

LMK

Rick

That's what I run. No issues at a little over 4". Yes, you can still use it at 5" or even 6". Some will argue with you that it's not strong enough but I've personally never had any issues nor have my friends.

The money that could be saved if this works in amazing.
Pick up a spare in the junk yard for $25 and only need to carry one extra.
Damn...I love the idea (although this would be for my son's rig running 32" tires and not for mine....)

Yeah, I actually carry two, just in-case someone else needs one since they're so easy to come by.

yep carry a spare, works for front or rear great little thing to have lol. Im at 5.5-6 works great beat the piss out of it and havent thought twice that it may let go.

If you use a front in the rear, doesn't that mean it is turning backwards?

Yes rick you can do this..This is the next thing i'm doing to mine

FYI a 241 rock trac is shorter than a 231 with an sye. With 5.5" i need my driveshaft to be 2" longer.

Hey Rick I was going to do this tomorrow, but my seal for the 242 didn't come in, so hopefully next week I will be doing my own H&T

What type of SYE are you considering??? I have a 242 transfercase and did my own Hack "N" tap using a Powertrain Industries Yoke p/n 3103-27CV. This yoke will work on 231 or 242 they are both 27 spline out put shafts.
It was easy and works well. I been running mine with a front driveshaft on the rear for 3+ years now and no issues. I also carry 2 spare front driveshafts but haven't had to use one yet.:wierd:

Check out this thread : http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75385

Last edited:
What type of SYE are you considering??? I have a 242 transfercase and did my own Hack "N" tap using a Powertrain Industries Yoke p/n 3103-27CV. This yoke will work on 231 or 242 they are both 27 spline out put shafts.
It was easy and works well. I been running mine with a front driveshaft on the rear for 3+ years now and no issues. I also carry 2 spare front driveshafts but haven't had to use one yet.:wierd:

Check out this thread : http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75385

I am going off of GoJeeps write-up using the same yoke. There is a guy in Canada that makes a new housing that uses a factory seal, should be in early next week.

5.5 in lift RE HnT and a front driveshaft with no issues at all. It was easy to install too. Would do it again in a second

FYI a 241 rock trac is shorter than a 231 with an sye. With 5.5" i need my driveshaft to be 2" longer.

try the v8 zj front driveshaft. it's a bit longer than a 4.0 xj aw4 front, fyi.

bob, billy, kyle, and i (and i think a front others) are running that one with out any issues. i will say though, if you think the xj front shaft is small... take a look at this one.

Back