• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low end sputter

4x4bear

NAXJA Forum User
97' XJ, 4.0 auto. I have a low end sputter and assumed that it was a idle control sensor, am I correct in that it is actually a idle control valve on the 97' ?
it doesn't do it all the time and if I get into the pedal, there is a small backfire thru the throttle body and then it runs fine, but just coasting or idling it sputters. while in neutral at idle the rpms fluctuate from 750 to 400, and at other times it is steady at 750.
do I have this diagnosed correctly and is this the correct part to repair it?
thanks in advance for your help

Bear

thanx guys, and at the risk of sounding like a newb, when the check engine light comes on, what is the proper procedure to get a code? thanks again,

Bear

I had no idle when I got a '97 beater. I took the TB off and cleaned it out including all the holes and sensors attached to it. Fired it up, gave it a few good revs, and slowly came down and it idles like a champ now...just super dirty TB and sensors were my culprit.

thanx Heap, gonna go over the tb tomorrow and see if any of the clean up helps and am gonna try a test, maybe get a friend to do that because I'm not that deep on meters .

Bear

Back