• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 aussie locker & thrust washer problem

beezzerr

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a ford 8.8, 31 spline, 4.10 LSD in my jeep for a year or so now and I'm trying to put an aussie locker in it.

Bought a new open carrier, thrust washers, and 7/8" cross pin from Randy's Ring and Pinion. (The LSD thrust washers are too big around to fit the open carrier).

If I put the new open carrier thrust washers behind the aussie axle gears, I can't get the cross shaft to fit between them.

If I leave out the thrust washers all together, the gap between the cross shaft and spacers is too wide at 0.035 (spec 0.006-0.020) on each side and the middle gap after putting the cam gears in is too wide at 0.200 (spec 0.145-0.170).

Factory LSD thrust washers measure 0.025
New open thrust washers measure 0.040

Just for kicks I stacked some carrier bearing shims and put them behind the axle gears to make about 0.020 on each side and everything was in spec. The shims don't have the same inside diameter as the thrust washers though (too big).

So what gives, did Randy's give me the wrong thrust washers or do they make different thickness thrust washers?

Can I stack shims in place of the thrust washers?

Should I grind down the diameter of the LSD thrust washers to fit in the open carrier?

any ideas or does anyone have a complete 8.8 open carrier or thrust washers lying around in NW WA.

Thanks

Re-check your "gap" numbers's,thats way to tight.

Im in the same boat on this. I really wanna use the carrier shims to make everything work but it would be great to know if someone has done this before but, if i do this and it works ill let u know.

I ended up going to the junkyard and pulling a carrier and washers from an explorer. Worked out, still tighter than spec, but at least I could get the cross pin in. I talked to an engineer at aussie and he said my gaps would work out just fine. Had it in since May and it works great.

Back