• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 to Chry 8.25

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Can i run my dana 35 driveshaft with a stock chrysler 8.25?

blew up my carrier and spider gears and just happened upon this axle so just need to know this information.

thanks'

-PJ-

Is the jeep lifted or stock? I know the D35 DS is longer, I don't know by how much. If you are still stock I would find a DS for the 8.25. JIM.

I would install the shaft & check the engagement of the splines. It should be fine. JIM.

Just measure your current distance between your Tcase and your axle. Install the 8.25 and measure again and see how far off you are.

I did a 8.25 to a D44 swap. The distance between the Tcase and D44 was within 1/2 inch of what I had before, so that was close enough....

I did the same swap and the 8.25 driveshaft was exactly 1" shorter than the d35 shaft in my 97 a/t. I had mine shortened and balanced. After installing a 3" budget lift, I wish I'd left it long. If lifted 3" or so I think you'll be fine. After you install it, look to see how much room you have for the yoke to slip into the t/c. HTH... Al

Edit: Yes u-bolts and plates are different too.

I just recently did this swap. You need to have a drive shaft from the 8.25. My D35 shaft was too short. I have about 5" of lift in the rear.

yah, NO. the d 35 drive shaft is longer than the 8.25 drive shaft. when lifted, you can benefit from the slightly longer pinion of the 8.25 and the longer d35 ds. it helps keep more splines engaged on the transfer case rear output. i ran an 8.25 with my stock d35 ds for 2.5 years. not a single problem with that setup.

Back