• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd Vs. 4wd.

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
So, Im FINALLY getting around to building my Jeep... Im kinda stuck on if I wanna run it 2wd or convert it to 4wd... Im looking to go for a mild Jeepspeed built Rig as its my DD... I don't know if I should start buying susp. or gathering together the parts needed to convert.

What do you guys think?

Specs so far:
'92 XJ
I-6
Headers (not sure on brand)
Cold"er" air intake (didnt wanna run it completely into the wheelwell)
4.5"rough Country springs in front
3" leafs (not sure on brand)
with a 1.5 shackle in rear.
Rancho 9ks Front
Rancho 5ks rear

i would just leave it 2wd, since thats how it already is. dont have to re gear the front, dont have to worry about changing out tranny, tcase, and front axle, 2wd beams seem like they would be easier to truss. and you can go straight to buying suspension parts instead of buying tranny and whatnot. and plus its a little lighter..

I'd throw a T-case in there, and run it as 2wd or 4wd depending on the venue, or whatnot.

It doesnt take that long to swap from a d30 to a 2wd beam... steers the same, calipers are the same, trackbar is the same...

some guys run 4wd then carry a 2wd front beam as a spare since its a direct swap, but im not sure if your building a race car or a weekend warrior

i would just leave it 2wd, since thats how it already is. dont have to re gear the front, dont have to worry about changing out tranny, tcase, and front axle, 2wd beams seem like they would be easier to truss. and you can go straight to buying suspension parts instead of buying tranny and whatnot. and plus its a little lighter..

He would only need the rear housing portion of the tranny... not the whole thing.
Billy

If you're really going to be racing JeepSpeed, stick with 2wd. The only race you could take advantage of 4wd would be the Parker Race and Baja (which is optional). If you really wanted to convert, I'd advise after the rest of your jeep is done.

If you do build a 4wd realize that the gear ratios are upwards of 5.29 to 6 ratio. At that deep of a gear with a tiny ring gear, a dana 30 would not last and you'll need to go to a d44 or 9 inch up front. My build has sucked up a lot of money, but I think money is more well spent in shocks and suspension and 4wd if you have some extra.

-Randy

From what I remember talking to some other JeepSpeeders, 4th gear is your strongest gear at a ratio of 1:1, so 5300 rpm, 6.0 R&P gears, 1:1 4th gear = 86.7 in 4th gear. Of course you'll be getting 4-6 mpg LOL.

Randy

i thought that the highest you can go in a d30 is 4.88s?

i thought that the highest you can go in a d30 is 4.88s?

Yep the guys running these gears either have 2wd or are running a d44/ ford 8-9inch. I was saying earlier that even if gears were made that deep for the d30, the ring and pinion would not be strong enough due to the short diameter.

One option is to use a rubicon 44 housing for the front. It's not the strongest, but at least it's a bolt on and you can run the gears needed.

-Randy

Its just gonna be a MILD Jeepspeed build (for now)... im not gonna Race it... Just building it for pleasure...

thats what she said!

but seriously if you have a 2wd, leave it be. too much work for 2 extra drive wheels. i only have a 4wd jeep cause i like to wheel my jeep also, but i've never needed it out prerunning.

It would depend on where you might be pre-running. The problem is that The 4.0 is so frickin slow that if you are out in silty deep areas, your going to be buried up to your eyeballs without 4 wheel drive. Since you are going to be running a straight axle anyways, your suspension is not going to be that much better anyway. 2WD with 400hp is way different than a XJ and the Briggs and Stratton it comes with. Just my thought.
progress.gif

It would depend on where you might be pre-running. The problem is that The 4.0 is so frickin slow that if you are out in silty deep areas, your going to be buried up to your eyeballs without 4 wheel drive. Since you are going to be running a straight axle anyways, your suspension is not going to be that much better anyway. 2WD with 400hp is way different than a XJ and the Briggs and Stratton it comes with. Just my thought.

progress.gif
LMFAO! So you're saying I should just drop a big block in it?

Back