• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-Event Tech Inspection?

Hey, are there any plans to have a Tech Inspection a few weeks before the event, just to give us newer folks a chance to get our junk fixed before the Actual Tech Inspection begins?

We used to do that back in Wisconsin in the 4x4 club I was in. We'd meet at a guys shop and we'd roll rigs through, put them up the lift, and give you a list of what needed attention so there were no surprises.

I'm pretty sure I'm set, but, would like to make sure, and, hang out with y'all pre-event.

Thanks,

Eric

On a similar note, will there be a tech inspection this year?

I would think a tech list of things to have/check would be beneficial in getting people prepared. Then at NWF do a quick once over on the rigs, and make sure nothing is sticking out like a sore thumb.

Here's a list to get started anyway.

Battery hold down/cables
Major slop in tie rod ends, track bar bushings, etc.
Ball joints/wheel bearings
Play in any u-joints, driveline or axles
Brake pedal doesn't go down to floor
Fr. and Rr. recovery points
Functioning lights
Fire Extinguisher and recovery strap on board

There will be a tech inspection, but it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes per rig. We are too spread out for a pre-inspection. Thanks for stepping up to help again John.

Ken

John: I've got some goodies to install over the next few weekends but would love to come down for a pre-inspection.

New additions:
Custom Detours Backbone system to mount my Warn 8274 (Gives me Front tow points too)
Rear class 4 hitch (Rear tow points)
Yukon Axle Upgrade (Stronger, plus now I have 2 spare axles to wire to the roof rack)
Powertraxx locker for the rear (Clickity clackity 'round the paved corners)
2x Fire Extinguishers.
Hi Lift Mount

Hey, can you help with a servicable used 31" spare tire/wheel? BFG AT if possible?

Thanks, sending PM with contact info

Eric

I think that maybe there should be a little clarity on this subject since we have briefly talked about this in at least a couple of threads now and some of you have not been through this process in the past.

The point of the tech inspection is to do several things:
1. To make sure that the owner of the vehicle is aware of any issues with his vehicle that he should be aware of (only blatent issues). Each of you should be responsible for this anyway before any event.
2. To make sure that the "management" of the group is aware of any issues so that they can be delt with.
3. To make sure that the trail leader is aware of the vehicles in his group and any affects they may have on the group. For example is a vehicle has no front or rear tow points, discussing this before the trail ride with the owner as well as the vehicle in front or behind to make sure everyone is aware and can deal with it before the issue gets out of hand.

In years past, we have had situations where people "thought" that they had safe tow points and during the inspection it has been found that there were short comings. As a group before hitting the trail the trail leader can discuss the short coming with the people involved so that a "fix" or "modification" or "work around" solution can be found and dealt with in a safe fashion. As long as the owner, trail leader, and others in the group are aware of a short coming then usually there are "solutions" to the problem that can be worked.

If you do have questions, feel free to ask.
Also, John (ACRO, pm Avanteone)has said he would be willing to do a once over also.

Everyone should be responsible for the vehicle they are driving and how it performs and should drive, and pick trails to drive appropriately.

I hope this helps,
Michael

For example...don't let an idiot in a Willys run Pritchett.

-----Matt-----

For example...don't let an idiot in a Willys run Pritchett.

-----Matt-----

I remember the stories you told of that fool's combination of mechanical mishaps and driver-fed failures. Everyone, and The Rock means everyone, should do their own pre-trip "tech inspection" before every wheeling trip. It's pretty simple really. Basic things to check:

* Crawl under your rig, visually inspect the undercarriage. Look for things like loose hardware (nuts and bolts), bent suspension and other parts such as crossmember, skid-plates, etc., new or worsening leaks from gearboxes, radiator, etc., cuts c/t tire sidewalls and tread, excessive mud or sticks/rocks jammed up in crevices that may interfere with/damage moving parts. Clean, tighten, and fix whatever you find.

* Run your vehicle through it's basic functions. Headlights, parking lamps, brake lights, heater and defrost functions, basic legality and safety stuff. Take a test drive or take note if it's a daily driver of anything that doesn't feel right. New clunks and bumps, steering and brake pull, unexplained grinding, vibrating, or other noises, look into it. Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff, keeps the rig coolant temp under the red on a hot day in traffic.

* Equipment-wise, some basics everyone should have: Strong tow points front and rear, First aid kit, fire extinguisher, tool box with everything you think you'll need, tree-saver and 30' pull strap along with a couple of 3/4" shackles, full-size or close spare tire, jack capable of lifting your vehicle off the ground, electrical kit with fuses, lengths of wire, connectors, test-light. You can expand this list a lot depending on your specific needs, available room, and experience with things you wish you'd had on previous trips.

Most of it is very common sense stuff. Think, inspect, and test before coming out on a run. Everyone else with you that day will be glad you did.

Driving style wise, think before you mash the skinny pedal. The ideal way to conquer an obstacle is with just enough speed and power to get over it and no more. If that means you attempt to crawl an obstacle a time or two before giving it a bit of throttle, that's okay. If you go into it lead-footed, it's easy to break things and/or end up against a tree or off the trail. If you don't want a spotter, that's fine. make sure you have the experience necessary to not need one. If you want a spotter, ask for one. I've never been on a trail run where there weren't several people willing to spot someone through a given obstacle. If you're a more experienced wheeler with a capable rig, have patience and be willing to help. If you're a newb in a stocker, be willing to ask questions and pay attention. The spotter won't tell you something that will get you hurt or damage your rig 95% of the time. In the 5% of the time that Matt may be spotting you, ask for a 2nd opinion.:D

Common sense stuff here, folks. It goes a very long ways towards making a fun, successful wheeling trip though.

Last edited:
Back