• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roller Coaster clunking noise

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
While I am stopped, having steered to full lock, when I apply the gas, there is a low clunking sound like I'm going up hill on a roller coaster, only not as loud and not as sharp.

I can't pinpoint the problem. any thoughts?

Jeep: 2000 xj limited, 8.25, no locker, np 242, 3 inch lift, RE TC drop kit.

thanks

I am stopped...then, if I turn all the way in one direction, then go...thats when the noise happens. it feels like its under my feet, possibly behind me.

Thanks. My first thought was the rear differential, but....

I also have "almost" death wobble...shaking in the wheel some time after hitting a bump at speed. another symptom?

That would not be u joints. For steering shaking, check for free play in steering components like tie rod ends, pitman arm, etc. by laying underneath while someone turns the steering wheel about 1/4 turn left and 1/4 turn right (over and over) while you look for free play.

Its sounds like CV joints on front wheel drive car...when they have gone bad...only the sound is more muffled.

Yeah, that is what I was looking for.. your U-joints are shot.

Thanks. My first thought was the rear differential, but....

I also have "almost" death wobble...shaking in the wheel some time after hitting a bump at speed. another symptom?

On my '00, I discovered that my "almost" death wobble was caused by poorly balanced tires...might be worth a quick trip to the tire shop.

I don't think the death wobble like shaking is coming from your U-joints. Lose joint, bad alingment or out of ballance tires are the usual suspects. On mine it was actually weak stop control arms. Replaced all 4 with aftermarket adjustable, keeping the same caster, and mine went away.

Back