• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SHould i paint under my xj???

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So im about to put my lift on my 99 xj. I have it in my head that i should paint the whole underneeth my truck with por 15 and il never see rust again. right now i have almost no rust but i live in ny and had to fly down to va to find this rustless truck. i also do alot of beach driving. so is it worth it and if so should i use por 15 or can i get away with some cheap stuff. The other problem is that the truck has some crappy oem undercoat stuff that seems like tarish. what can i do about that? leave it?

Do it while you have everything taken apart.

Take a wire brush or some scotchbrite pads and scrub what you can get to and then clean it all off and spray away...

I did it but only in the "problem" areas. Leave the factory undercoat alone, it wouldn't hurt to paint over it.

Wheel wells
floors
rear cargo

I would have done more but POR is expensive. A small can will go a long way though.

Also, I have a few friends that swear by "Chassis Saver".

Do it I dont see why not it really cant hurt anything...btw where in NY are you im in eastern LI

I did it but only in the "problem" areas. Leave the factory undercoat alone, it wouldn't hurt to paint over it.

Wheel wells
floors
rear cargo

I would have done more but POR is expensive. A small can will go a long way though.

Also, I have a few friends that swear by "Chassis Saver".

I put my Jeep on the rack at work, went apeshiat with a grinder w/ wire cup, then sprayed phosphoric acid through a garden sprayer. Sat that overnight, rinsed with garden hose, then coated with Rustoleum 'cold galvanizing' zinc spray. When that cured I painted over it with Rustoleum hammered finish. Looks awesome and shouldn't be a rust issue anymore. Beware, that phosphoric crap turns things white and burns when it hits the skin, use in a ventilated area, too. Cover or remove your shocks. :D:D:D If you don't have much rust, use naval jelly. Same thing, just in gel form so it's easier to manage. ;) Got everything at Home Depot in the paint dept. Spent less than $30 including the wire brush cup for the grinder. Fixed some seals and bushings while I was in there, and rebuilt the front shocks. :)

xmemberback.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

:worship:
LOL. I'd say you're pretty well prepared. I used the phosphoric acid too but only what came in a little spray bottle.

Anybody have a rack I can borrow? :D

I usually keep mine coated with a few layers of mud....it's free, environmentally safe, and not too much labor involved.

I redid my undercoating since I had everything out and I do a lot of driving during the winter. I used Eastwood's under gone undercoating remover it was a big pain. Then resprayed with 3M Body Schutz. It turned out great but I would probably never do it again.

Ecksjay your Jeep never siezes to amaze me. I think its the reason i lifted my teal j. Or Aquapearl ddxj. Yors was the first one i saw that actually made this color look good.
I'm a little confused by your traction bar as well. Can we see a pic of the entire bar in one pic?

i just use RustStop by Ace. Ive used it on all 6 of my xj's. Never had any problems with it and it stops any existing rust and prevents any new rust from forming, best of all, its only 5 bucks a can.

Traction bar is one straight bar and one curved, attached to it and another point on the main one. Previous owner/builder put it there...though I'm not 100% with the construction. Probably the only thing I'll ever change since it feels like the lower (curved) bar flexes under heavy tension. It's a hell of a lot better than nothing, but I'd like to tie the two bars together.

Links so I don't derail this thread too badly. ;) And no, I didn't do any of that with the drivetrain out or diff covers off. I just cleaned the hell out of things and sprayed where I needed to. Rust wasn't bad in those areas, just in the spots where paint was first applied thin and/or scraped from years of rock abuse.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c370/ecksjay/ECKSTWO/DSC_0055.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c370/ecksjay/ECKSTWO/DSC_0057.jpg

^^^you live in California. Magic marker stops rust over there.

:D

BTW, Go Ducks!!!

I work on the beach and live 1 mile from it. Going through salt water is a daily occasion. Salt water is the biggest contributor to rust over here. hasta

Back