• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trussing an axle and new skid plate

DesertRunner

NAXJA Forum User
well i picked up a d44 and decided i would truss it before i toss it on! i also decided that the sail need to go away. after i cut it off i realized it would work as a new truss on top of the axle.

1. So before i mess this up. i can truss the axle complete? or do i have to disassemble?

2. i plan on making a new skid about the height of a license plate any reason to make it smaller or larger? opinions?

pictures
jeep1.jpg

P090513004.jpg

P090513002.jpg

Last edited:
Re: trussing a axle and new skid plate

I have heard both but I think most people say trss with the internals in. I think the oil inside helps keep it cooler too. I need to truss my d44 when Im done with our desert truck so post pics.

When we did my brothers diff, we bolted it down to the bench so it would not move when we welded it. It was done with a big piece of 2x6 box welded just to the tubes, we did not weld it to the center, but we can make a bracket to have it secured to the top of the truss via the Ruffstuff diff cover.

Here are a few pics
DSC05830.jpg

DSC05840.jpg

DSC05847.jpg

that is much nicer than any thing ive thought of so far! i was thinking round tube (1.5 or 1.75) but that makes me wanna go plate or square tube!

i was searching today and im thinking a small truss/ skid on the bottom and a tribent tube over the top about the same shape as the trus pictured above!

bottom truss similar to
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746328
DSCN3629.jpg

today was my birthday and i had to work so i didn't get much done on the truss but here is the start of the bottom. its welded lots of work to go. hoping to have it top and botoom trussed and under the jeep come Tuesday night!

P090516002.jpg

That is a great job you did there XJJeeper19. I am planning to do the same with my XJ. I too will use a Ruff Stuff diff cover and attach it to the truss to add strength to the canter section.

That is a great job you did there XJJeeper19. I am planning to do the same with my XJ. I too will use a Ruff Stuff diff cover and attach it to the truss to add strength to the canter section.

I can't really take much credit for that, mostly all of it was my brother.

Justin

Well hell! Happy Birthday!!!!

thanks!

i made some more progress today between a family dinner (we have 3 birthdays this week)

P090517002.jpg

thats aucutally the bottom truss. im going to be trussing the top with tube! that will be tommorow or later today depends on how ambitious i get today!

P090518002.jpg

P090518001.jpg

bottoms all done tomorrow i should get the top done!

:rolleyes:

Anything else I should have done?

i'll be nice since swampie plays over here, but i will say you have much to learn about structural rigidity :dunno:

P090519003.jpg

P090519002.jpg

now shes ready for paint!

i'll be nice since swampie plays over here, but i will say you have much to learn about structural rigidity :dunno:

...and just how exactly do you figure that his truss is lacking in structural rigidity?

Back