• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar Upgrade + couple other questions

mybrosride

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to Jeeps, and the forum, and looking for some help. I need to know if there is a swaybar upgrade for freeway stability for a Cherokee XJS? Its lifted 6 in.

Also wondering how to upgrade my ball joints, and needing to find a cheap "drop pit man arm" for my lift.

Not sure if I would need a traction bar or anything else steering related to upgrade....

thanks for your help in advance

A stock sway bar with extended links/disconnects ought to be plenty to stabilize an XJ. Some came with a rear sway bar as well though. What problems are you having?

Stock swaybar.

Use Spicer brand balljoints (which are OEM, but you won't get them at places like Napa or Autozone, special order them online) and don't worry about them.

You probably don't need a drop pitman arm, someone is misleading you.

As darky asked..what problems are you actually having?

could also be that you are driving a lifted jeep... not a caddy
happyfinger.gif

get a good alignment. I am at 5.5-6" in my 89 with stock bar, jks quicker disconnects and no rear sway bar and am running 32's. I have no issues. Check to see that all you steering stuff is tight and your track bar is tight. As stated above caster is what helps keep you going straight/wheels going back and staying in center. Check your p/s gear box for slop. Basically get under the jeep and poke around everything..

I've installed 3 in. coil springs, 2.5 in. spacers and bilsteins.

I need to find a new or "remanufactured distributor as I can hear bearings going....

could also be that you are driving a lifted jeep... not a caddy
happyfinger.gif
Do they have paved roads in alabama yet? :laugh: In cali, we have freeways....not sure you would understand what they are tho :rolleyes:

You should get an alignment. If your caster / toe are incorrect, it will drive funny.
Long control arms or control arm drop brackets are going to go a long ways towards freeway stability.
Check your track bar - is your axle perfectly centered under your rig?
Are your drag link and track bar parallel?
Your sway bars shouldn't affect "wandering", but if you want to upgrade you can find a 1 1/8" diameter bar in the junk yard somewhere. Most XJs came with a 1" bar... and as has been said, you can throw an OEM rear sway in there.

You should get an alignment. If your caster / toe are incorrect, it will drive funny.
Long control arms or control arm drop brackets are going to go a long ways towards freeway stability.
Check your track bar - is your axle perfectly centered under your rig?
Are your drag link and track bar parallel?
Your sway bars shouldn't affect "wandering", but if you want to upgrade you can find a 1 1/8" diameter bar in the junk yard somewhere. Most XJs came with a 1" bar... and as has been said, you can throw an OEM rear sway in there.

i'll do some checking in the junk yards for some 1 1/8" bars, and check the alignment too.... I'll have some more time this week to do some checks on what you guys have suggested.

sure appreciate everything....and any other input, feel free to add it to the thread... :)

I'll update what i do as time goes on, and check for updates and suggestions you guys give me.... again, thanks for all the input so far.

Hey man I drive my 8" lift on 35's down the (Alabama) highways on occasion and have very little sway. No sway bars either. I agree on an alignment first. Keep playing with it, you will dial it in.

Hey man I drive my 8" lift on 35's down the (Alabama) highways on occasion and have very little sway. No sway bars either. I agree on an alignment first. Keep playing with it, you will dial it in.

alignment may be the problem... May be the best thing to do before first before making any investments on parts, ect...

okay so you have 3" coil lift and threw some spacers on it without upgrading the control arms and trac bar? and expect it to drive awesome?!?

REAL smart...

With that amount of lift, you definately need an adjustable trac bar to center the diff under the body (I am surprise no one said that).

Drag link and trac bar angles could be out of wack;... not paralell.

Caster angles. Toe in. You need to work at getting them set properly.

There is one other thing that no one mention, the tire state of wear and balance. They things affect driveability.

Back