• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 XJ conversion from 27 spline to a locked 29 spline question.

Drunkencat

NAXJA Forum User
I'am new to jeeps and this forum. I've done research on the XJ and I know this is the jeep that I want. I was looking to get a 97 to 99 XJ but came a cross a good deal. I found a 95 XJ with a used, uninstalled 4 inch rough country lift kit all for $900. The only down side was that its a rebuilt title due to the owner hitting a deer, which has been repaired. My oringinal plan was to locker a 8.25 front and back and buy a lift later, but since this deal came up and its a 95 XJ which means it has a 27 spline I'd like to convert the 27 spline to a 29 spline with a locker. What do I need to do this conversion? Is it as simple as buying the axels and lockers and installing them or is it more involved?

You wanna go full locker or lunch box? If you go with a full case like a Detroit then yes, all you need is the locker, and 29 spline axles.

If you go with a Aussie you will need the 29 spline carrier/axles

I am not sure on what you mean with a full locker or lunchbox. I assume a full locker is where its locked up all the time and it has no give. Not sure what a lunchbox is. So what is the difference between the Aussie and the detroit?

I am not sure on what you mean with a full locker or lunchbox. I assume a full locker is where its locked up all the time and it has no give. Not sure what a lunchbox is. So what is the difference between the Aussie and the detroit?

The Aussie or "Lunch Box" locker goes into your stock carrier in place of the spider gears. A full case locker like the Detroit replaces the entire carrier assembly

Back