• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Many problems, Need Good Advice!

edwardsmr2002

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an 84 Jeep Wagoneer from a friend at work. It has the 2.5 liter 4 cyl., NP207 transfer case, d30 front and d35 rear diffs. As far as I know everything is stock. I bought it just as mainly a toy/work vehicle.

First problem, When I put it in 4wd, lo or hi, and try to take a tight turn, the front axle seems to bind up, almost stopping the jeep. I can drive though it, but It makes a lot of popping and grinding noises. It does it in forward or reverse, and on dirt or pavement. I've searched and searched and I still don't know for sure what it is for sure. I thought maybe it was the front axle cv's. Is it a straight axle swap from cvs to ujoint axles on the d30. Could i just go to napa and tell them I want axle shafts from 19XX year CHerokee and they would fit without alterations? Could it be the front driveshaft?

Second problem, my speedo doesn't work. I pulled the cable, lubed it, reinstalled it, made sure the cable was seated in the cluster, pulled the speedo gear on the transfer case and made sure that it was good(it was), reinstalled the the speedo gear and housing, checked to see if it was meshing inside the transfer case(it was, it wouldn't spin), and then reinstalled the cable. The speedo will get up to about 15mph if I drive for a long time at maybe 50mph. I pulled the cluster and watched the cable and it spins faster the faster I go. Is there anything I missed? I think the cluster itself is bad. Oh yeah, the odometer works just fine too.

Last problem, I can't decide on a lift and tire combo. I have been looking at the Rustys 3" Springpack kit. I don't want anything too extreme, it will see limited trail use, and limited road use. I also have been considering a 2" lift, but I need new Leafsprings, and I do not want to spend more than $500 on a lift. As for tires, I have no Idea what I want. Something that will get me good traction in dirt and won't wear out every 10 months. Goodyear Wrangler or BFG mud terrains are some that i have been looking at. Again I don't want to spend a ton, I would like to stay under $800 for steelies and tires. Any comments welcome , as well as backspacing Ideas and tire sizes for different lifts.

As far as the 1st problem....Don't try to turn full lock in P/T 4wd on dry ground or even wet pavement. You just don't do it...the popping sounds are clearly a warning to stop what you're doing. The second problem sounds like a shot speedo head, it happens. Lastly, the pic below is a 90 equipped with the $418 3" Rusty's Lift and 31" MTBC's.

muddyjeepresize.jpg

well a 3" is the way to go, as for tires, i like A/T's for on and off road.

As far as the 4wd goes, it does it in mud too. It does it whenever its in 4wd and the steering is turned more than a half a turn in either direction and im trying to move forward. But I can turn the wheel as sharp as I want in 2wd and it doesn't do it.

As far as a lincoln locked front diff, what do I look for? I don't think it is, but who knows what people do to cars and why.

For my off road driving habits, mosty dirt and mud with a bit of rock and sand thrown in.

Thanks for the replys!

I have an 85 with the same engine and transfer case. I went with a 3" Rusty AAL kit and 31" TRXUS MT's. I have been very happy with the set up for the mild wheeling I'm doing and would recommend it for others as well.
Only thing I would do different would be buying the complete spring pack as my rear is sagging a lot.

Check the universals on the ends of the axles, they do go bad thru normal use.
Usually they rust out...

no u have CV on ur driveshaft, and universals in the axel.

Are you sure that no years came with cv joints on the front axle? It really looks like a cv joint, with a torn boot and grease leaking out. It looks nothing like any picture I've seen of a universal joint.

When did wagoneers/cherokees have IFS? I must have missed that...

I'm pretty sure that it has CV joints in front.

Is it a direct swap from CV's to Ujoints on the front axle? Or should I just get new CV axles?

Last edited:
look here u noob, that axel shaft has two CV joints on it, on a solid axel(front 4X4) there is only one!!!!!!!!!!!!
look at the following web page and learn something!!!!

http://xjconnection.jtv.cc/dana30_xj.htm

Instead of calling me names or stating the obvious, why not answer my questions? Its the internet dude, calm down a bit.

Now then, are those two different axles swappable?

Back