• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New travel trailer - Where to go semi local to Southern cali to enjoy?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
The wife bought a 29ft travel trailer last month since she wanted to start going with me when I jeep on my weekends out. Its nice and now after spending a few thousand more, we are ready to dry camp with it or hook up or what ever...

We bought (well aquired) a silent valley membership, and will be going there this weekend to test out a 3 night trip in this thing with our 17mo boy and 16yo girl. If we dont kill eachother or roll off the side of the mountain, then we will need some other places to go.

Wife isnt all gun ho on desert right now, not only is it heating up but she wants grass or tree's etc. and semi local to a city if she can help it for anything we might forget or need.

So where do you otheres here with RV/Trailer/5th go if your not off roading, to "camp", its not really camping but thats what they call it I think still.

We have thought about Big bear (not many sites that fit a 29ft with 19ft tow rig though I figure?), calico (getting HOT soon) and pismo (kinda far and not much to do really, for us).

Idea's? hoping to find like bakersfield south and SD north and ocean to AZ. Keep in mind we dont own anything other then a tube XJ for recreation veh. and have a 17month old boy that we have to accomidate and entertain as best we can while there.

Joshua Tree National Monument is really nice. It's hot right now, but there's trees (sort of) and lots of great scenery. If you get a double space at Serrano campground on Big Bear, you ought to be able to fit, if not all hooked up, then at least with backing the camper in then un hooking and backing the truck in next to it. The spaces are 52' long I think.

I was just in Serrano campground in BB on the weekend, with my 29' MH with 18' trailer attatched. Even had room to park the XJ in front of the MH when it was off the trailer. You can leave the trailer hooked up. I was in site #23 for reference.

Joshua Tree might be interesting. USed to go there alot as a youngster and shot quail and liz and ride a trail 50 before they were cool. Is it orginized, like a park or camp ground?

Walmart, hahaha.. I go to the nab. walmart about 3 times a week for crap and see so many "interesting" people coming and going from the "rv"s in the lot that never seem to move... No thanks.

I was just in Serrano campground in BB on the weekend, with my 29' MH with 18' trailer attatched. Even had room to park the XJ in front of the MH when it was off the trailer. You can leave the trailer hooked up. I was in site #23 for reference.

Very cool! I never paid much attention to the driveway lengths before, never had a reason to. Good info, thanks.

Hows the hill to and from with that size MH and trailer? figure its gotta be similer to a 29' trailer and 19ft tow rig in drivability up/dn the mountain.

Last edited:
Theres always La Jolla Indian Reservation too.

http://www.lajollaindians.com/Campground/

That looks nice. But looks like no tents are posted at the RV sites, and the RV sites are dried dirt and not all green adn friendly like the "camp" sites. wonder if a screen room/tent is a "tent" and if I can get a camp site instead of a rv site.

Will look into that place...

All along the coast from Santa Barbara to the Mexican border, but make your reservations early cause they all fill up quick. Small kids favorite Campland at Mission Bay......SANTA

that campland looks cool but kinda costly? $200+ for a 3day 2 night stay.

There are some fun places in kernville, i have a cabin up there, the river is nice, there some fun scenic wheeling, a lake near by.:dunno:

Very cool! I never paid much attention to the driveway lengths before, never had a reason to. Good info, thanks.

Hows the hill to and from with that size MH and trailer? figure its gotta be similer to a 29' trailer and 19ft tow rig in drivability up/dn the mountain.

Honestly, its slow going up and coming down. Im a frequent user of the turn outs. :D

But in my opinion its well worth the extra drive time to have the MH as a base for wheeling. I have 2 girls under the age of 3 so a home base is needed.

Robert.
Check out Heart Bar camp ground off the 38 on the way up to big bear before Onyx summit.. I have stayed there many a time and they even have two pull threw sites for trailers.. Its actually kinda quiet up there right now..

X2 on heart bar, also big pine flats campground,restrooms running water and big pines,some decent wheelin also. with your rig you would want to come in from fawnskin. corner of 3n14 & 3n16.

Probably too late this year, but I have always heard good things about Carlsbad State Beach... Campland on the Bay, as Santa said, too... but that's a major zoo--and a mix of partiers and families. Just keep the kids' Jello separate from the Jello Shots!!

Check the State Park system online, see what all there is.

I have always heard good things about Carlsbad State Beach...

Check the State Park system online, see what all there is.

If that's the campground I'm thinking of on the 101 just past Pointsettia, it's not exactly what I'd call RV friendly. On a plus side, you're just one drunk tumble from the beach when you come to in the morning. :cheers:

Here is a website we always use before heading out in our motorhome. The info is pretty accurate including prices. Just pick the state, regional locale and it gives you a lot of choices, including the hyperlinks to the RV park itself for pics and info. Inexpensive to expensive....Happy trails...

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Carlsbad State Beach RV camping:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=660
I know a few folks who've dry camped there with families. I never have, myself. All hearsay =). Ask Rawbrown... I think he has.

Back