• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel stud replacement

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question, I have to replace my wheel studs on my front wheel. Do I have to put the axle shaft to get the old studs out or can I just remove rotor, caliper and then pound them out?

I've got the D35 upfront.

You should be able to tap them out with out a problem.

Just FYI, you have a D30 front.

What do you guys mean by tapping the studs out? I have a wheel stud that popped out towards the differential on my front wheel that I tried using the lugnut to reseat with no luck. How do I go about removing it so I can replace it with a new one?

What do you guys mean by tapping the studs out? I have a wheel stud that popped out towards the differential on my front wheel that I tried using the lugnut to reseat with no luck. How do I go about removing it so I can replace it with a new one?

If it were *me* I'd get a used rotor and some used lug nuts. Place the rotor on the hub with 2 lug nuts slightly more than finger tight to hold the rotor in place. Then take a 3rd lug nut on the lug that needs replaced. Just put it in like 3 or 4 threads. Then start tapping on the lug nut with a hammer.

That doesn't mean using an 8 pound sledge hammer to beat on it.

Quick question, I have to replace my wheel studs on my front wheel. Do I have to put the axle shaft to get the old studs out or can I just remove rotor, caliper and then pound them out?

Just hammer them out if your replacing them. If your gonna reuse them use a brass hammer. Use a lug or 1/2-20 nut and some washers to pull the new ones in with a socket/ratchet and/or impact gun if you take it easy.

I've got the Stud free, but it appears that without removing the hub assembly, there is not enough clearance behind the stud for it to just slide out. Am I missing something??

I've got the Stud free, but it appears that without removing the hub assembly, there is not enough clearance behind the stud for it to just slide out. Am I missing something??

If it can't be rotated to a place you can get it out just take the 3 12pt bolts out that hold the hub in to get more clearance. When you reinstall them torque to 75ft lbs.

i had this preoblem with my 89, not enough room to get the stud out becuase there was not enough room. i cut the stud shorter with a cutoff wheel to get it out and for the install, i ground down a flat spot on the head of the stud to get clearence.

Had this same problem when replacing my front brakes over the holidays. (Yep, apparently popped a couple of studs loose when removing the old rotor.) Didn't seem to matter what the position of the hub was, there was simply not enough room. And we weren't going to pull the hub so...

We cut a keyway in the dust shield to create a spot to remove/install. Snipped it with some dikes. Cut real easy.

Good luck.

Back