• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88s and 33's?

md11fan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

So at the moment im sitting on a LP30 and C8.25 with 3.55. I have a couple options that i can do. So first off i want to replace the LP30 with a late model HP30, and in the rear im thinking about going with a Dana 44 or 8.8.

I have the possibility of getting a HP30 and Dana 44 with 4.88 and Lock right lockers front and rear. The only concern i have is how are the 4.88 with 33's? I just got some newer 33's with decent tread on them so i wont be upgrading for a little bit, I think im going to stay 33's for a while to because it is a DD, I might think about getting 35 later on after the 33's but that is still to be decided. Since i DD my rig, i want to get this right the first time. I spend about 60% on street and 40% on the freeway. Will the 4.88s be doable or will i be spinning at 3k on the freeway going 70.

Another option i have is to wait it out and try and find a 8.8 with 4.56 and Limited Slip, along with a HP30 with 4.56

Any input is appreciated,
-John B

Do it, I did.

You'll love the low gearing off-road.

I'll try to find the paper where I wrote down RPM v. MPH.

I'm on 33's with 4:56 and even though it's been just fine, I almost wish I'd gone 4:88. I turn about 2500 rpm at 70mph on the freeway. I am in Utah though, so altitude will be a factor in my experience vs. yours. Not sure this helps, but good luck!

I'll be running 33s and 4.88 soon as I get the money to install my front gears. I have a D44 with a Detroit and 4.88s waiting to go in...

I have been running 4.88's and 33's for a few years and I love it! I have a 2000 with AT.

It is great on the trail and nice on the street. I don't really watch the MPG much cause it doesn't really matter to me. I get between 190 and 220 miles from a tank, depending on how I drive. The engine spins about 3000 RPM at 75 MPH. I have been 100 MPH with these gears (once or twice).

I don't regret it at all!

Last edited:
3k on the freeway is a good thing. Motor isn't struggling at all, so the mileage should be more consistent and almost like stock.

Makes a big difference if you have an auto or man. trans. im runnen 4.56s with 33s on a man. trans and would not want to go to 4.88s on the freeway 65mph im doing 2600rpm. Its pritty good auto trans came with 3.55s man came with 3.07s

Makes a big difference if you have an auto or man. trans. im runnen 4.56s with 33s on a man. trans and would not want to go to 4.88s on the freeway 65mph im doing 2600rpm. Its pritty good auto trans came with 3.55s man came with 3.07s

Huh?

With an ax-15 @ 65mph in top gear with 4.88's and 33's....2551rpm
with an aw-4 @ 65 mph in top gear with 4.88's and 33's....2422rpm

Are you saying that one hundred rpm more is no good?

Do it, I did.

You'll love the low gearing off-road.

Any may be a little annoyed by it on road... its a trade off.

I am running 33's with 4:10 which is pretty good on road but I spend a lot of time on the highway which is great. I remember when I had 30's with the 4:10... I would wind up and shift gears at like 4 or 5 mph:) That was annoying!

Its all a trade off for what your after... have heard of guys with higher gear ratios running an ultra low gear for wheeling... sounds cool, not sure how it works though.

- Cole

Huh?

With an ax-15 @ 65mph in top gear with 4.88's and 33's....2551rpm
with an aw-4 @ 65 mph in top gear with 4.88's and 33's....2422rpm

Are you saying that one hundred rpm more is no good?

I guess so, driving mine it sounds like it really starts to whine up on the freeway, Driving a friends with an auto trans with the same setup seems alot better rpm range on the freeway. I havent read the charts but driving both first hand there is a difference. And I would not want any higher for freeway driving for mine, Offroading when in 4lo plenty of power to crawl up anything with the 4.56s. 4.88s I would have to go to slow for a daily driver.

How far is your daily commute? How many freeway miles, how many street miles?

Well my only commute is to school and that is like 2 miles on the 73 and another mile on streets, but i drive around alot mainly on side streets. Thanks everyone for the input, im going to go with the 4.88 option, so i will personal tell you how it works out.

Well my only commute is to school and that is like 2 miles on the 73 and another mile on streets, but i drive around alot mainly on side streets. Thanks everyone for the input, im going to go with the 4.88 option, so i will personal tell you how it works out.

I think you'll like it.

When SoCalBilll bought his rig it has 32's and 4.88's. Cal told him it was the "perfect gearing (he) just didn't know it yet"

Hey John,

You are welcome to meet up with me and drive my Jeep to see what you think. Like I said, mine is an auto and I love it!

Plenty of power, no speed loss on inclines, off-road great! I ran 75+ up the Cajon Pass!

Shoot me a PM of interested. I work in Irvine near JWA and live in Lake Forest.

When SoCalBilll bought his rig it has 32's and 4.88's. Cal told him it was the "perfect gearing (he) just didn't know it yet"
i was told the same thing by Cal. And he's right. i like the low end torque. and my autotrans doesnt shift into 2nd from 1st in 4lo

I think the thing to do is meet up and check out the gearing on someone elses and see what you think. I wish I would have done that before I regeared to 4.10's. I have 31's now, and planned on going to 32's, but I might end up leaving it on 31's. The gears are good now, I am scared to go up a tire size and lose how it drives now.

Back