• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilding the back of an xj

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
So I decided to rip the back of my unirails off along with my hitch. I have a couple ideas on what to do but could use some suggestions also on what could be done.

102_0328.jpg

102_0329.jpg

102_0330.jpg

102_0331.jpg

102_0332.jpg

102_0333.jpg

102_0334.jpg

102_0335.jpg

daymmm!!! nice work Kim!

suggestions to follow after I wake up a bit more :D

You really don't have too many options. You either take the suspension completely off and fabricate the rotted parts, and the areas that your rotted parts were attached to, or you replace the Jeep. I'm voting - replace the Jeep. It will be a lot less work and you will be more satisfied with the results in the long run.

i dont have pics but my truck looked just like yours. i got a new xj and kept all the parts i could ever need from the old one. i had as much rust as yours if not more and it really mad be think about how weak the truck was with that rust so when you get a new one take a good look under it. mine is 100% rust free. but i did have to fly from ny to va to get it.

Ouch! Tell me you were getting pulled out, Kim! It may be time to find a fresh XJ to throw your crap on! :D

on second thought i bet it'll buff right out! :roflmao:

i dont have pics but my truck looked just like yours. i got a new xj and kept all the parts i could ever need from the old one. i had as much rust as yours if not more and it really mad be think about how weak the truck was with that rust so when you get a new one take a good look under it. mine is 100% rust free. but i did have to fly from ny to va to get it.

That jeep has a tendency to go through deep water holes! :gag:

I have a company down the road that is going to bend some 1/8 thick sheet metal and make some new unirails in the back. They will be long enough to go all the way to the first bend in the frame. The filler neck will be either relocated or cut a hole for it.

I will be making new shackle mounts built next to the new rails.
I plan on instaling a new back section made out of 1/4 steel and also a new crossmember support between the gas tank and the cargo area.

I just need this to have a hitch installed and be a safe recovery point. The bumper mounts will be added later.

The cargo area might as well be rebuilt to with new flooring. I am working with little money I have for this so another jeep to swap over is a no go at this point.
I will be doing some cutting tonight hopefully. Pictures to follow.

Kim

Ouch! How will you ever get the lift gate to match again? Looks like the bottom is twisted...lifted on the left side. This (to me) would indicate significant unibody twist...maybe not even repairable. But, I'm not an expert body/frame man, may not know what is possible.

I have a company down the road that is going to bend some 1/8 thick sheet metal and make some new unirails in the back. They will be long enough to go all the way to the first bend in the frame. The filler neck will be either relocated or cut a hole for it.

I will be making new shackle mounts built next to the new rails.
I plan on instaling a new back section made out of 1/4 steel and also a new crossmember support between the gas tank and the cargo area.

I just need this to have a hitch installed and be a safe recovery point. The bumper mounts will be added later.

The cargo area might as well be rebuilt to with new flooring. I am working with little money I have for this so another jeep to swap over is a no go at this point.
I will be doing some cutting tonight hopefully. Pictures to follow.

Kim

Well good luck with it!

Man I'm glad i live in the south. I got my 91' XJ for $500 with NO RUST. Throw that thing out and come south and well get you a rust free XJ. Hell of a lot more fun wrenching on a Heep with no rust!!

good luck!!

Ouch! I don't think I've ever seen so much rust on an XJ. Does the rest of the unibody resemble the rear area? I understand your comment about money, but you can realistically buy an old XJ for $300-600 dollars that will have much less rust, if not be rust-free. You figure either way requires a lot of effort on your part, I'd rather spend the money swapping parts to a rust-free unibody than fabbing and grafting a bunch of metal to a rusted one.

Either way, good luck, and post pics as you go.

come on Kim, more pics...we need to see some progress!!

* I am sure pics are not posted b/c your busy working on it instead of web wheeling like I am right now :D

It looked a little better the last I saw it, the rust was still there, but things were "straighter"

Is it going to be ready for the Memorial day run?

I am amzed at the rust on that Jeep. that realy sux, but Kin you are right, it is repairable, but rust is called canser for a reason. You need to get that new sheet metal to good sheet metal to make a good bond. I would consider fabbing up an entire rear section, or even going to the JY, and buying a torched out rear unibody section, that may even be easier to fab in than making your own metal. I have expereience with a really rusted out VW uniframe, and it was a total pain in the A$$.. all kinds of lil pieces that go together like a puzzle.. LOL GOOD LUCK.. and keep your chin up, it still runs...

Sorry for the delay on the updates. I have the two new unirail pieces, new back section for the bumper to mount to, new hitch, and still need to pick up all the bolts I will need.

I will try and get some pictures up in a day or two but time is not on my side right now so we will see. Lots to do!!
What my goal is for this build is to get a decent recovery point in the rear again for my Memorial weekend run. After that it is time for a new donor jeep. Already have one in the works.

This is the same black jeep you rode in at Flat Nasty. Other jeeps that I have bought were daily drivers.

I got a little further with the rebuild. Update to come.

Back