• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to AX15 Swap

PepperRedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My AW4 in my 95 just grenaded on I-80, How difficult is it to swap in an AX15 into a previously automatic Cherokee? The only hang ups would be computer issues and drilling for the slave cylinders and clutch assembly. Thanks in Advance:

-Tim

You also need to chase down a flywheel, and pilot bearing as well. Don't forget to grab both brake and clutch pedals from your donor.

Get an AX15 with an external slave (94 or newer, maybe 93.)

Dont' have tech to add on the swap, but make sure you get a AX15 from an XJ. The YJ and TJ AX15's clock the TC higher and it may interfer with the floorplan.

hey it may seem hard but its really easy the only pain in the ass is drilling the whole for the master cylinder and thats not even that bad and as for the computer just leave everything in there all u need to do is fool the nutural safty switch to thinking its in nutural all the time and just get he whole bracket for the brake and clutch pedal assembley its much eaiser also if ur not lifted get the drive shafts b/c a autos drive shafts are longer than the standards and if u need to know anything else just send me a pm i already did all this
alec

You also need to chase down a flywheel, and pilot bearing as well. Don't forget to grab both brake and clutch pedals from your donor.

Stupid question but why do I need both the brake and clutch pedals? I was just gonna pull the whole assembly but was just wondering why.. :read:

Stupid question but why do I need both the brake and clutch pedals? I was just gonna pull the whole assembly but was just wondering why.. :read:

because the brake pedal with the auto trans is too wide. the width of the brake pedal with a manual trans is the same width as the clutch pedal.

I believe the AX15's went to external slave in 95.5 IIRC... I seem to remember researching it when mine went bad about a month or so after getting my Jeep; lucky me, I had an external slave

I believe the AX15's went to external slave in 95.5 IIRC... I seem to remember researching it when mine went bad about a month or so after getting my Jeep; lucky me, I had an external slave
My 94 has the external slave, and came with a 93 distributor.

Don't forget a pilot bearing bushing as well. I put a motor in my 96 ax-15 froma 96 aw4 this summer and ran into that problem. Had the pilot bearing but no bushing for it to sit in.

Back