• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ca. Catalytic Converter

balrog429

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone have a good line on a cat that will pass in California? I looked on e-bay and all the ones I found were for 49 states not including the "tax me state". The ones I did find for CA were 150.00.:helpme:

CA passed a law that went into effect earlier this year that requires aftermarket CATs to certify against a new set of standards. Most suppliers haven't certified and therefore can not sell in CA. The rest are very pricey.

Glad I got mine last summer.

I heard about the new cat law at the auto parts store because they said they could not sell the old cats they have in stock anymore. But, I don't know if the smog places will care what cat is on your truck. I just had to smog the XJ that I bought before I could transfer it into my name and it has one of those universal Catco cats. It passed with no problem. You can still order those cheap cat's from JC Whitney, etc.

Have any friends out of state? You can check it's past smog history here; http://www.bar.ca.gov/applications/VehTests/PubTstQry.aspx if it passed first time in the past I'm sure it would pass with a new but "aged" cat. I don't think the test station will care if it passes and is not obviously new.
Our '89's history said it always failed than came back a few $100- later and passed so that's why I'm going to the state for help.

I've been using a Catco high-flow since July 2007. Somebody said they are cheap and melt. I recently deleted my muffler and had a look at the internals of the cat. Nothing looked melted to me, looked like a perfect honey comb without any dripping honey :)

Back