• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel grabbing

Longhunter

NAXJA Forum User
Help me out folks.
2000 XJ, bone stock, approx 93,500 miles.
Lately when driving around a bend or corner the steering wheel shimmys or grabs. The only thing I can compare it to is almost as if the front axle is locked in 4X4. Not quite as grabby but similar. Of course I checked the transfer case shifter and it's not in 4X4. It seems to do this at speeds below 30 MPH or at least it is not noticable at higher speeds.
I replaced the front rotors and pads about 3 weeks ago and it went away for a while but started up again late last week. The rotors I took off were badly warped so I thought that was the issue but I guess not. Before the brake job it was only a slight grab but now it's noticibly worse.
Any reccomendations as to what to look for/at would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Longhunter

Could it be that your Power steering pump is getting ify? If it is not making good presure it could feel like a grab.

I checked the fluid in the reservoir and it was OK but that's all I checked.
How exactly do I determine if the pump is ready take a dump?

What about axle u-joints? Could these cause this and how do I check those?

Longhunter

could be U-joints or even your unit bearings.....

Common symptom of old u-joints in need of replacement. Power steering pump is good for another 100,000 miles and only replace it if it stops working or looses fluid faster than you can re-fill it. .

Thanks gentlemen.
Now she's got a decent vibration at highway speed so I'll be tearing into the front end tonight. I'm pretty sure it's the u-joints after doing a few searches and the replies I received here.
Many thanks for the help!!!!

Longhunter

The same problem with me just started up yesterday. Was it the U-joints? I didn't get a chance to check the power stearing fluid or to see if it was leaking at all, and it's deffinitly not stuck is 4wd.

Back