• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front ds bolt removal

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
One of my front DS bolts (tcase side of course) rounded off when I was trying to remove it today.

Other than maybe dremmeling the head off or cutting a slot in there, anybody have a sure fire way to get these out?

As usual a 30 minute job turns into a 2 day learning experience. :(

Lemme guess - you use a 12-point wrench? Use only a six-point on something like that, and replace the screws every time you take them out (screws are cheap. Rogaine isn't.)

If the head is totally unsalvageable, you can try using vise grips to grab the head, and then remove it that way. However, you're probably going to have to turn the shaft a few times to get all of the screws out, from what I remember.

Probably the best bet would be to try and grind/chisel the heads off of the screws, then pull the driveshaft out and grab the shank ends with vise grips and back them out. Replace screws, and buy a six-point wrench while you're there (some things you really shouldn't take chances on. I have a set of 12-point wrenches, but I don't use them unless I have to. I have two sets of 6-points - just in case I break one, I've got a spare. Sockets likewise.)

Back