• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep starts and then dies out

MudDogg

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, my dad's jeep is acting up. I starts up and then dies out after a few seconds. He changed the fuel pump, still doing it, hasn't changed fuel filter yet. Maybe a bad "new" pump.
Just asking if somone else has had this problem and found it to be something else other than a fuel delivery problem before we go farther with buying fuel delivery stuff

1989 XJ 4.0L

Thanks
Josh

Rent a fuel pressure gauge and verify.

Ballast resistor on the drivers fender near the airbox. About 1/2" x 1/2" x 2" with a wire out of either end. Jumper across it and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, you can leave it that way.

Thanks a million guy's. Over the weekend swapped a running renix in to my 89 XJ, which was running but using oil loke crazy. Cranks and starts then dies. logged into NAXJA and found this...
double chancked the resistor and found the terminal just barely touching, reconnected and purrs just fine!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Back