• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel rotates hard after changing front brake pads

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
I am still plaqued with a squeaking brake on the right front. I got a set of new pads and put them on the right front wheel, and after I got the caliper bolted back on I couldn't rotate the rotor. If I back off the bottom caliper bolt slightly, the rotor will turn as usual, slightly rubbing on the new pads. I put the wheel back on and ran it around the block; the brakes seemed to work fine but when I snug the bottom bolt back up I can barely rotate the wheel. I haven't done the other side yet. Is it normal for some new pads to make the wheel so tight or will the pads eventually "seat in"? I've changed pads on my 2WD many times before and never had this problem. Oh, and the brake still squeaks, but not as badly. Bad caliper maybe? It's a 91 2WD MJ. Thanks

sounds like possible brake hose is collasped on the inside not allowing brake fluid back to master cyl.

Hmm, could be, but they were working fine before, just some squealing when cold. But everything on the front brakes is the original 91 equipment (except for the pads and rotors of course), so I've ordered new hoses and calipers and will replace the pads and turn the rotors too. It's probably overdue. :cool:

Back