• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Question

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Cherokee with 4.0L and AW4 from a 89 cherokee. When im in 2WD going down the highway it shifts 1st,2nd,3rd overdrive no problem. When i put it in 4L and pull the shifter to 1-2 gear it dont shift to second its like it stays in first it pulls good and motor keeps reving. Any reason this is happening or is it shifting so quick i dont feel or hear it?

How high is the rpm before you change gears yourself. Mine won't change till about 6000 rpm. But mine is a 1998.

With the shift lever in the 1-2 position, the AW4 usually do not shift until the engine is at a high RPM then it will shift firmly from 1 to 2. When the speed drop a little, it shifts violently back from 2 to 1.

How hiigh is the RPM before it shifts from 1 to 2?

With the shift lever in the 1-2 position, the AW4 usually do not shift until the engine is at a high RPM then it will shift firmly from 1 to 2. When the speed drop a little, it shifts violently back from 2 to 1.

How hiigh is the RPM before it shifts from 1 to 2?

This is where I was going. But you beat me to it.

Back