• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quasy D30 build

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
so a while back I sold my buddy my old D30, because I got another one free with my 8.8
both had 4.10's and he needed one, so it gave me a reason to build up the free one.

I put on some coil/control arm mounts from ballistic fab, and added some shock mounts on the side. Didn't think of it at the time, but these mounts move the control mounting point a bit, and the coils about 2" higher than stock.
dYECtn468897-02.jpg

KQLo5j115573-02.jpg

the mounting of the coils is also about 1" or so further back on the axle, but since the lower control arms mount a bit further back too, I end up with the axle sitting about 1" forward of stock.

here's Ruff Stuff offset trac bar mount on, its also up against the coil mount for bracing on the pass side.
EF6ts8666940-02.jpg

and here's some angles from the front
CKImBR257477-02.jpg

my plan is to order the blue torch fabs cross over steering piece and go all heims for the steering. that should allow me to get the angles matching a bit better.
other than that, there just a few odds and ends that need to be covered off before I can get it back on the road.

its been off the road since October when I got a Golf, so it will be nice to get out for some wheeling again. Especially since I put the stiffernZ on from TNT and their Ylink on aswell.

this first drive should be very different than the last.

well crap, I just got a quote from my normal supplier... just for all the steering links and DOM and such.

3/4"-16 x 5/8" bore QA1 Chromoly Rod Ends = $39.00/pc
$39.00 x 6pcs = $234.00

3/4"-16 Tube Adapters = $12.00/pc
$12.00 x 4pcs = $48.00

3/4"-16 Jam Nuts = $3.50/pc
$3.50 x 4pcs = $14.00

1.5" x .250"wall DOM Tubing = $1.50/in
$1.50 x 54in = $81.00
$1.50 x 36in = $54.00

Misalignment Spacers
$12.00 x 4pcs = $48.00

and I need to add a few things onto that.

than the BTF cross over piece... and the steering will be worth x2 what the axle is.

So needless to say I am talking to another buddy who has another source... I was building this on the cheap until I put a full width next year or so... ouch

Very nice. I'm guessing the new CA mounts sit flush with bottom of the axle tube?

I may do this to mine if I end up keeping the 30. I could use a good way to move the axle forward, or shorten the exposed thread on my Clayton arms. I could also remove the spacer I have above the coil spring.

Do the shock mounts sit at the same height as stock?

no trouble clearing the UCA mount actually. With the trac bar mount tilted the way it is, even the bottom hole is accessible. The trac bar will end up being almost perfectly perpendicular to the frame/body.

the control arm mount is not flush, but it is higher than stock, I still have to add some skids to it, just didn't have the material for it at the time.

shock mounts are a bit lower than stock. I wanted to put them higher if I could, but it wouldn't work out the way I wanted.

side note, found a guy that will gather the parts for about 1/2 the cost of the original quote.

oddly enough I just got the tubing yesterday, got it cut and am fitting everything up yesterday/today/tomorrow

only problem I am running into so far, is I will have to grind down some off the RuffStuff dif cover... the 1.5"DOM is hitting just a tad before the wheels turn lock/lock.

so give me a few more days and the answer will be "Yes"

Last edited:
oddly enough I just got the tubing yesterday, got it cut and am fitting everything up yesterday/today/tomorrow

only problem I am running into so far, is I will have to grind down some off the RuffStuff dif cover... the 1.5"DOM is hitting just a tad before the wheels turn lock/lock.

so give me a few more days and the answer will be "Yes"
no problem i can wait some more :roll:

Back