• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who wants to do a weld job for me ASAP?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I need the perches and shock mounts welded on my 8.8, and the tubes welded too. Doug was going to do it for me but I haven't heard back from him and I need it done soon as I'm hoping to wheel this coming weekend for my birthday.

I live in Everett, willing to drive within reason...let me know.
I'd like to have this done tomorrow if possible (monday).

We can work something out as far as payment too. (trade parts for welding or something?)

~Scott

I don't have an SYE so I figure only a small rise from level will do.

I rolled it under my rig...it'd be hard to screw it up too much I think.

~Scott

I don't have an SYE so I figure only a small rise from level will do.

I rolled it under my rig...it'd be hard to screw it up too much I think.

~Scott

A correct pinion angle is quite important...I would take it pretty serious haha. If your putting in a nicely built axle, take the time to make everything right, so that everything functions at its best. Yes, you want to go wheeling this weekend for your b-day, yes doing it the way you mention could be fine, but a half-assed job on getting the perches and mounts placed may/will come back and make you wish you did it right the first time. "Do it right the first time", was kind of your build motto and motivation.....even though it was the second time. :laugh:

-Lyle

If you don't have an SYE then the angle just has to be parallel with the ground. I want to move it up a little though because that's about where it seems to ride best.

It's not half assed, its just there's no need to do any special measurements for a rig that doesn't have an SYE. A.K.A. Doesn't need to be at a unique angle. All I need to know is the width and where to put the shock mounts, and I've got that covered.

~Scott

Scott, you need to have the t-case output angle and the rear diff pinion angle match for a non-SYE setup. The t-case output is usually a couple degrees below perpendicular, meaning the diff pinion angle needs to match that. It's foolhardy to just take loose perches and shock mounts and weld them on where you think they should go. It's a PITA, but what you really need to do is put the new axle under the Jeep, supported with jackstands and with the spring perches atop it and weight on the leaf springs and measure and set your inbd-outbd perch distances and match the t-case and diff pinion angles. Shock mounts are more forgiving, but need to be checked for clearance and bind. Ideally, you tack-weld those in while the axle is under the Jeep, then pull it out for access to fully weld the hardware.

What we talked about was you setting and checking those angles/locations and marking them with awl scribe lines, so I am confident they will be good when you bring the axle/perches/shock mounts over. I don't want to carry any guilt or false blame if/when I weld them on for you and the angles aren't correct. If you can't accurately measure and mark these dimensions beforehand, let me know and we'll figure out another way.

Only reason I haven't done a full blown set-up yet as far as dropping the rig on the axle is because I can't lift the Jeep off the jack stands without two hi-lifts to raise it slightly off of them. I plan to do that today though. I did get degree measurements though, as well as measurements for where the leaf perches go. Just need to finalize the shock mounts.

~Scott

I'm curious why you didnt buy a SYE? Looks like you have put in some serious $$ into your axles. Why not a SYE? You think you will not have any vibes?

Not being harsh on your build, just curious.

I'm curious why you didnt buy a SYE? Looks like you have put in some serious $$ into your axles. Why not a SYE? You think you will not have any vibes?

Not being harsh on your build, just curious.

SYE's are not really "Necessary" on older XJ's till much higher lift heights (6+) in many cases. There are several advantages to SYE's but it is very feasable in many cases to end up with larger lifts, bigger tires, stronger axles, and still not have a SYE till later because it could be a lower priority than many other items.

Michael

SYE's are not really "Necessary" on older XJ's till much higher lift heights (6+) in many cases. There are several advantages to SYE's but it is very feasable in many cases to end up with larger lifts, bigger tires, stronger axles, and still not have a SYE till later because it could be a lower priority than many other items.

Michael

Exactly, that and on my other lift I didn't have any problems...some vibes but nothing that bothered me. I'm not sure how my new lift will work out, but we'll see how things go without one first. SYE is only a priority if I end up NEEDING it, otherwise it's a want.

As long as I get my angle right on the 8.8 I should be OK vibe wise (I know others running the same set-up with no problem). I'm just going to match my pinion angle with James's as he has a similar set-up and has had good luck with his angle/vibes.

~Scott

~Scott

Michael

Then the 88 and 89 xj's I had must of been the exception. The 88 had a 3.5 and shimmed but still had terrible vibes. The 89 was a 4.5 and the same thing.

Muddy Beast hope it works out for you, looks good!

Heck, I'm running 6" on my 94' with no vibes whatsoever. ALL that I had were coming off my front DS, went away with the caster set correct now.

Scott: You've had vibes ever since you lifted your Jeep, and have done everything in the book to fix them, except installing a SYE. I bet if you go that route, your vibes will be gone. :)

Plus, that stock driveline won't last too long on the trails you plan to be running...

-Lyle

Scott: You've had vibes ever since you lifted your Jeep, and have done everything in the book to fix them, except installing a SYE. I bet if you go that route, your vibes will be gone. :)

Plus, that stock driveline won't last too long on the trails you plan to be running...

-Lyle

Owned by Lyle.

I didnt know there were any bunny trails in WA.

Bruno™;244395332 said:

-Lyle

I didn't say I don't have vibes. But I don't mind them, as long as I don't have DW I'm good. I can't afford an SYE right now so no SYE for me. The BAD vibes I had were all caused from front end related problems which I fixed (well...I have now).

And Eli, not owned. I already knew an SYE would fix my vibes, and I know my U-joints will be eaten, that's irrelevant to what I'm asking.

Thanks for the Semi-support though. Finished measuring and marking everything, and axle's in the back of the van. :)

~Scott

Death wobble and a SYE are two totally different issues, you can only get death wobble from steering axles and their components.

-Alex

(n)
Did I say anything about them being the same? I said I'm OK with driveline vibes, but I don't want DW (which was the vibes Lyle was talking about me having...as all of those were front end related).

I appreciate the attempt in helping though, even if it wasn't what I was talking about. :D

~Scott

P.S. Went to pump grease in my rear axle end u-joint to find my u-joints are toast. hahaha Kinda ironic.

Yes. :)

~Scott

Back