• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

painting trim

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever use any of the krylon plastic paints on the plastic trim pieces? All of mine are faded, but I don't want to make it worse than it is already.

Krylon Fusion. I have read it works well. My son painted the flares on his YJ with it a year ago and it's holding up well.

I just used some rustoleum satin black platsic textured paint. Holds up suprisingly well and looks just like stock. Lays out great as well, very uniform.

I dont know about the woodgrain but I painted my flares and bumper endcaps with krylon fusion and it looks great. It has held up really well and that was 2 years ago of california sun. Do it...you will be happy.

I've heard a rumor going aroudn that the endcaps / trim don't "fade" so much, they gather a waxy buildup. YMMV but I scratched the flares with a thumbnail and found shiny black underneath...
I hear a heat gun will restore them to black pretty quick.

That being said... Rustoleum has worked well for many.

This is true. You can use a heatgun, if your parts are indeed black plastic and not painted black. However, it doesn't last very long and comes back quickly. Remedy - paint them with plastic paint, or use black kiwi shoe dye. I've heard that works wonders.

If I were to paint my plastic trim with the Krylon Fusion, what prep do I need to do?? I am just wondering if I have to clean the parts with acetone or something first... do I need to spray it with primer or just take the parts off the Jeep and spray them with the Fusion??

Take them off, clean with soap and water. Maybe alcohol afterwards, and then blast away. The stuff is made for direct plastic contact, I would think primer would hinder it's adhesion.

Well I cleaned the crap out of them with soap and water, and the paint bubbled up, so I tried to clean them with some cleaner.. and soap and water again... letting them dry now.. Do you guys think the flat black or the gloss black would look better for the flares??

Ok, so it is still bubbling up.. not sure what else I can clean it with to keep that from happening.... I guess I will give it a bit to let the paint try, and then throw another coat on it..

Any thoughts on how to keep the paint from bubbling up?? I did decide to run with the gloss instead of the flat... I know I will find something to use the flat black on at a later time...

Bubbling? I don't quite understand? Make sure the part is completely clean. Use alcohol and go over it with a paper towel until no more dirt and grime show on the towel. Then do a super light coat first, and slowly progress heavier from there.

Ok, so it is still bubbling up.. not sure what else I can clean it with to keep that from happening.... I guess I will give it a bit to let the paint try, and then throw another coat on it..

Any thoughts on how to keep the paint from bubbling up?? I did decide to run with the gloss instead of the flat... I know I will find something to use the flat black on at a later time...

I had the same problem when I got flares from a 2000 at the junkyard that were factory black and chipped and peeling.
Here's my suggestion
Step 1. Clean with soap and water
Step 2. Clean with alcohol
Step 3. Wet sand with a 400 grit sandpaper
Step 4. Clean once again with alcohol
Step 5. Paint (as stated start lightly then go heavier)

i didnt remove any parts flares are a bitch to pull off anyways and the side moulding is glued i used one of those sanding sponges (i masked everything first) than used acetone to wipe it all down than painted. it lookes so good i got drunk and came back out and painted my fading door handles and rear brow over the license plate as well as the rear bumper (yes i was drunk and used the krylon plastic paint on the metal) but its held up fine. i do however keep it in a garage and only drive it once a month when im home

It could be the soap you are using some soaps have lotions and oils. I would just give it a quick scuff with a GRAY scuff pad (less arggressive) clean with alcohol closest to 100%. like said above start painting lightly just dust it.

Back