• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky differential after skid install

I always put a gasket and also some form A gasket (goop) all around. I did this when I had a half skid like that worked great no leaks.

I would recommend getting an allen head socket the correct size and torquing them to the correct torque (not sure what that is off the top of my head).
Did you remove the diff cover or just remove the bottom bolts? If you removed the cover did you remove ALL of the gasket or RTV from both surfaces before reassembly? Did you let it sit at least an hour or 2 before you refilled?
If you didn't remove the cover you may have just broken the seal and may end up having to do it.

Today I installed a diff skid (link) on my D30. Tightened the bolts as tight as possible but they only tighten with an allen wrench. Six hours later I am getting dripping from the diff. Should I have put some kind of goop in the bolt holes? What do you recommend?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...1659744.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e

Since you more and likely did not remove the cover itself, you broke the bond on the lower bolts when you installed the skid.

Better pull the whole cover off, clean, dry surfaces, smear some RTV on both surfaces(cover and housing), let sit for 10 min, then add a generous bead of RTV to the cover and install.

I usually let the RTV sit for a few hours to let dry before I add gear oil.

I would not bother with a gasket. RTV is plenty to seal the cover. I never had a problem with just RTV.

I had repeated leakage until I went with Lube Lockers. I love those and will use them on my second XJ after my gear install. I'm sold on them for sure.

x2 on the Lube Locker gaskets.

I bought a set of the RuffStuff 3/8" diff covers for the front and real last year. I got the option for the countersunk holes and flat head allen head screws. With thes screws, the holes in the cover MUST align perfectly with the holes in the casting. If they don't, they fight each other as they are torqued down and shift the cover slightly. I had my rear cover off, cleaned and applied new RTV 4 times, before I gave up and got the Lube Locker gaskets. They have not leaked a drop in 20K miles and multiple trail runs.

At the time Quadratec had the best price on them.

Same thing happened to me when I installed a rear diff guard. The diff guard when I thighten the bolts somehow distorted the diff cover, so I just took some washer to put between the diff guard and the cover, enough to clear the lip of the cover (2 washer IIRC). Problem solved

screw those overpriced lube lickers LOL - RTV FTW

Are you kidding me? You can't pay $16 on a lube locker gasket? That is well worth the time you save on scraping RTV, and buying tube of RTV. The lubelockers last a lot longer than the RTV, they pay for themselves.

Are you kidding me? You can't pay $16 on a lube locker gasket? That is well worth the time you save on scraping RTV, and buying tube of RTV. The lubelockers last a lot longer than the RTV, they pay for themselves.
Its all a matter of opinion and personal preference....I can buy 3 tubes of the good rtv I use for the price of one gasket (before shipping costs too)...I have never had a leak with just rtv on diffs. I have sort of a set way I do gaskets which works well. Key thing is to never run a "bead". I squeeze it on my finger then rub it on along the mating surfaces in a small circular motion - then when both surfaces are done I put it together right away - the reason I do it this way is because if you just lay a bead alot of times the rtv doesnt really adhere to the metal but when you basically rub it on it really gets fully adhered. This method also uses far less rtv and you also don't get any oozing out. Oh, and after I put the pieces together I tighten them down about half way then wait a little before torqueing all the way.

screw those overpriced lube lickers LOL - RTV FTW

You like bagging on guys that don't go cheap, don't you. I'll tell anyone who hasn't had a leaky diff cover at some point that you just haven't hit it hard enough. I've tried RTV (wiping around with my finger) and gaskets, and the best thing I've used so far is Right Stuff from Permatex. Very good stuff, and it would work excellently if I wasn't so hard on my diff covers.

I hadn't seen the Lube Locker gaskets before, I'm going to have to give them a try.

normally i put some sealant on my finger and wipe around the outside edge of my diffs too, just in case

Back