• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Help

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. My clutch started acting up this morning.

Basically its not working sometimes. If you start the jeep up, you cant put it into gear (unless I feel like hearing that loverly grinding noise, but even then...doubt it). Turning the heep off, you can get her in gear. Switching gears is also kinda sticky while trying to drive right after starting. Both times it started acting up today it went away after driving for a couple minutes, but the petal still felt kind of...heavy? I had to push down really hard to get iit in gear. not sure how else to describe it. Didn't feel like normal.

Any suggestions on what I can check?

Hey guys. My clutch started acting up this morning.

Basically its not working sometimes. If you start the jeep up, you cant put it into gear (unless I feel like hearing that loverly grinding noise, but even then...doubt it). Turning the heep off, you can get her in gear. Switching gears is also kinda sticky while trying to drive right after starting. Both times it started acting up today it went away after driving for a couple minutes, but the petal still felt kind of...heavy? I had to push down really hard to get iit in gear. not sure how else to describe it. Didn't feel like normal.

Any suggestions on what I can check?

Check the fluid in the clutch reservoir to start, if it's low get down under neath and see you can see any leaks. If so replace it. You don't mention year.

I'm sorry, its a 97'

I checked the fluid level and it was very very low. I filled it up to the line and its much better.

There is most likely a leak down there, I crawled under and noticed that the mud around it was wet, everywhere else was dry.

It's a pretty easy swap, the thing comes as an assembly, prefilled so don't open it, just exercise some care when routing the line so you don't melt it.

Back