• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan bolts loose?

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
While trying to track down an oil leak (looks like a RMS leak) I thought I'd first start tightening down any loose bolts I might find. So I start with the oil pan bolts and most of them seemed to be pretty loose and easy to tighten down another 1/2 to 3/4 turn? Haynes manual says these should be 7 ft lbs, so is tightening them down to hand-tight going to be alright? Do these loosen over time? Is lock tight on them a good idea?

thanks in advance!

Probably not going to hurt anything by tightening them, but probably not going to help anything either. If it's leaking at this point, the gasket is likely faulty, and tightening the bolts isn't going to do much.

The BEST thing you can do right now is to clean the engine and trans as best as you can. Then make some short drives and see what parts are getting wet/dirty. Keep in mind that airflow under/through the Jeep will carry the oil back, but you should be able to see where the leaks are starting.

Back