• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced DS front U joint now I have fluid leaking from the Axle?

scuba413

NAXJA Forum User
A week or so ago I replaced the Drivers side front U joint. I have a 98 with the dana 30 front axle. I just looked underneath to check on things and it appears there is diff fluid leaking out of the DS Axle. What is the cause? Any help would be great.

You damaged the seal when you reinstalled the axle shaft. Either nicked it sliding the shaft through or got dirt in it from the crud sitting on the bottom of the inside of the tube. It will likely need to be replaced, but you can try something first. Pull the shaft back out and see if you can get somehting to slide back in there with a rag attached to very carefully clean off the seal. This can be tricky as you don't want to make it worse, and you don't want to push dirt into the center section. Wiping off the seal is optional. Put bearing grease on the end of the shaft, especially where the seal surface is, and carefully install the axle. When installing front axles, you always need to balance the shaft so the end doesn't scrape along the bottom of the tube picking up dirt on the splines, which then get in the seal. Be especially careful when putting the axle back in with grease on it as the dirt will stick to the grease.

If that works, it will hold for quite awhile. If it doesn't, you'll need to pull the carrier and relace the seal.

Goatman had a great post.

You might have just leaked some out when you had the shaft out and its still oozing out a little bit. Doubtful but I try to stay positive about stuff like that :D.

Well I have a positive side and negative to this problem. If I pull it appart again is it just as easy to install a new seal? Also I am leaveing in 4 days for a trip and will be on the beach in the jeep several times. Is this a must fix or can I keep an eye to the diff level and be fine?

Back