• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with 35's and 3.55's, tips?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys after searching with no luck here I am.

I have to tow a 5x8 uhaul 500 miles with the xj. Im currently at 5.5" with 35's on 3.55's:doh:. I know this is less than ideal and especially rough on the tranny. Im looking for any tips or pointers to help keep the jeep running smoothly. I have done the trip before with 33's and stock gears and it wasnt too bad, most of the trip is relatively flat. Any information or hlep is appreciated.

Thanks, MG

Edit: forgot to mention the tranny, its the aw4.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have an auto? If you're looking for someone to say go ahead and do it, you'll be fine, that's not going to happen. You answered your own question- "I know this is less than ideal and rough on the tranny." I know that drive and the stop and go traffic from Balt to VA could be killer...
JMO.

You gotta think about braking too. That would be a desiding factor for me.

Keeping it in 3rd would be about as rough as letting it go from 3rd to OD...

get geared. go pull a 4.10 dana 35 from a yard if you have to.

i hope you have a tranny cooler
X2. It would also be good to install a trans temp gauge. That way when, not if, it gets too hot, you can stop and let her cool down.

I drove my MJ with 3.55s and 35s for a week or two until I got my axles built. I hauled a couple rather small loads of firewood with that setup and it was rough. I could hear it screaming for mercy (not literally, but it felt like I lost a couple cylinders), and that was only going a couple miles down the road.

You definitely need a regear, but if nothing else, maybe you can find or borrow a smaller set of tires for the trip?

Thanks for the help guys, Im looking into finding a set of wheels for the trip. How hard is a tranny cooler install, relatively easy correct? I might have to do that before I leave tomorrow or monday. The real pita is the 4.56's are sitting back in Md waiting to be installed.

If I tried to keep heavier things in the trunk and the lighter stuff in the trailer would that help at all?

If I tried to keep heavier things in the trunk and the lighter stuff in the trailer would that help at all?
Well, overall you'd still be carrying the same weight, so not really. You'd be best distributing the weight to get the best tongue load.

Thanks for the help guys, Im looking into finding a set of wheels for the trip. How hard is a tranny cooler install, relatively easy correct? I might have to do that before I leave tomorrow or monday. The real pita is the 4.56's are sitting back in Md waiting to be installed.

might be some help
cooler install
http://jeepin.com/features/trannycooler/

gauge install
http://jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/

Well I made it home no problems (that I know of). Took about 9.5 hours running 55-70mph mostly, hanging out anywhere from 1500rpms cruising at 60 to hills at 3000rpms. It was definitely rough on the tranny but not as bad as I expected, no burped fluid or burning smells. Will be replacing tranny fluid and installing a cooler shortly.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Back